Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cakes With Fountains Out of Style?

I'm planning a wedding next year, and always loved seeing the cakes with stairs and a fountain underneith at all the weddings I went to when I was a kid. I'm 22 now. But it seems like every cake out there is just stacked cakes with a topper. I'll have to find out if they still make cakes like they did back in the 90s, but does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm just curious if others think this is tacky or not. Thanks!

Re: Cakes With Fountains Out of Style?

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I did a cake for a close family friend that had a fountain, not only her, but her brother also used the same fountain (which their Mom had)..  Both of the cakes that sat atop the fountain were definitely "current" designs, it's just that instead of like a silver stand, they were on the pillar/fountain stand.    Basically, you pick a cake design you like and change elements to fit the look you're going for.  It's your cake, so have what you two want!!!  As for finding a baker with a fountain, that might be a challenge, OTOH, you can pick them up pretty reasonably at JoAnn's or Michael's with a 40% off coupon then the cascade set separate (gives a more updated/elegent look to the fountain) or go to any cake decorating supply store and they'll have them too...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wilton still sells cake fountains. You can find them in stores like Michael's sometimes. They are out of style, but that doesn't mean you can't have one if you really want one.Honestly, I do think of cakes from the 80's whenever I see one. I wanted the same style cake when I was little =P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Believe me pp's....most bakers out there have SEVERAL fountains gathering dust in a storage room somewhere! LOL I have 3! Anywho....if you really want one, just find a baker that is willing to resurrect their fountain tier set for you. I say this because fountain cakes are no longer in vogue, and if you buy one-you're gonna have a hard time getting rid of it afterwards.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think they are VERY outdated. I'm surprised you even saw on IRL as you're only 22. I haven't seen one like that since the 80s.
  • Options
    pinktimbspinktimbs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think typically they're considered out of style, but they pop up at weddings occasionally these days.A girl I know from my social circle had a gigantic cake of 9 different tiers (3 separate piles of 3 cake layers a piece) connected and accented with two fountains and two sets of staircases and figurines for the wedding party, and this was for her 2006 wedding.So don't worry - if you look into them and you still love the design, go with it, even if it's "out of style." :)
    We're married, woo!
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was looking at a friend's FB photos of a wedding she attended recently, and that bride was about 23 and had a cake with fountains and stairs. And I've seen them on the Publix website. So it's not like nobody does them anymore. That being said, I think they look really silly. But it's your cake, not mine.
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very retro...I haven't seen one of those cakes since my sister's wedding in 1985.  However, it is your cake and you most certainly can do what you want.  Depending on who your cake baker is, she/he might be able to find you one, otherwise, try ebay!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey all you haters- The 80's are back!! LOL! I think that you go with whatever style you want, and don't worry if the "cool" kids are doing it. It's your cake!
  • Options
    doraettadoraetta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married in september, im 24! and my cake is 3 tiers and a fountain! its what you want, and  if people dont like it dont look at it or eat it! whats the point? its your wedding day and if no one likes it, its what you want, dont worry about what people thinks if that was the case than everyone screwed because dont everyone likes the same thing, and no ones just alike!Surprised
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm 25 and have no idea what you're talking about lol But if you like it, and want it for your wedding....go for it.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards