Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Booked our HM to Zoetry in Riviera Maya but what about the Cartel?

We originally decided with the Caribbean for our honeymoon the end of August but our travel agent talked us into going to a spa/wellness resort called Zoetry near Cancun mexico.  So we just booked it!

My FFIL brought up the recent cartel and killings and etc on the mexican border....I am FREAKING out now!!!  Is there near that area? are we going to have issues? Any calming advice would be lovely!!

Re: Booked our HM to Zoetry in Riviera Maya but what about the Cartel?

• Options

Here is a map of mexico: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/north-america/mexico/

Cancun is nowhere near the mexican border.

• Options
    Do a google search and you will see that the advisory does not include the cancun area.

My Mom thought the same thing and then I quoted some of that information I found and she stopped. You will be fine
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

Not to be rude, but like pp said. Look at a map.  Violence in certain parts of Mexico has been intense and high for a long time.

When in doubt, you can always check the US Department of State's Travel Warnings: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

(FYI- Cancun is not on there)

• Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Cancun is no where near the borders. Maybe pull out a map and actually know where you are going before you "freak" out.

• Options
    What? Calm down. Zoetry is beautiful and AMAZING. There is no need to "freak out."

Nothing is wrong in Cancun or Riviera Maya. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    And don't discredit the situation there.  This violence has been going on for a long time, not just 'recently', and it frustrates me that people only seem to care when it might put a damper on their dream vacation.  But, I was born and raised in southern California and I spent the last 4 years in Texas, so it was a daily reminder.  But like PP ssaid, Cancun is on the coast, near central America and VERY touristy, so you should be fine. Just don't buy drugs and you're good to go. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    People, don't be rude and tell her to pull out a map! Her concern is a valid concern.
    The violence in Mexico should be a concern with those traveling to that country. BUT to make you feel better, Riviera Maya is so amazing! We went there 2 years ago and there were advisories to not travel to Mexico. I felt completely safe. 
    The locals in Riviera Maya rely on income from tourists and they wont mess that up.
    Be a SMART tourist though. Don't get wasted and wander the streets alone (which is when most of the tourists that have been reported missing where last doing). 
    Dont worry, your honeymoon with be amazing! Check out the city of Tulum and the ruins there, AMAZING!
    hope this helps!

photo animals-kissing-puppies_zps1aae5403.jpeg February 2013 Siggy Challenge: Kissing Animals Anniversary image
    My Ovulation Chart
    "I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday"~ Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_booked-our-hm-to-zoetry-in-riviera-maya-but-what-about-the-cartel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:25cb7a3c-8c73-4ea1-a7e2-a36955a8b427Post:9c285d95-d8de-4045-91b3-cae4ff545c55">Re: Booked our HM to Zoetry in Riviera Maya but what about the Cartel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]People, don't be rude and tell her to pull out a map! Her concern is a v<strong>The violence in Mexico should be a concern with those traveling to that country.</strong> BUT to make you feel better,alid concern.  Riviera Maya is so amazing! We went there 2 years ago and there were advisories to not travel to Mexico. I felt completely safe.  The locals in Riviera Maya rely on income from tourists and they wont mess that up. Be a SMART tourist though. Don't get wasted and wander the streets alone (which is when most of the tourists that have been reported missing where last doing).  Dont worry, your honeymoon with be amazing! Check out the city of Tulum and the ruins there, AMAZING! hope this helps!
    Posted by manderz223[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the violence in east LA should be a concern to people traveling to Colorado, as well, right?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    H and I just spent a week at the Valentin Imperial Maya in Playa del Carmen. We visited Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, a centote, the city of Vallodolid, Tulum, and we went into down town Playa. We were not murdered, kidnapped, held at gun point, or forced into slavery. We were however offered drugs a couple of times while in PDC, but we just walked by and they didn't continue asking.
  • Options
    I appreciate the comments but I was worked up at the heat of the moment and needed to vent. I know my HM will be amazing and my fiance is a cop so I am def safe with him :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards