Plus-Sized

My Parents.

Hi all, I'm posting this all the way from South Africa, hopeing No one will see it from here and no one gets hurt.

He asked me too marry him 3 months ago. My farther works in another country, so he was not here for the happy news. That being said, my Fh did ask his blessings ect.

Mostly my parents worried about the time frame they will have to save up for the wedding. We gave them about 14 months.

A month into planning, we got news that all his family who are staying over seas, wil be able to make a trip here during march with their free flyer miles! We decided too move the wedding a few months early, so his family also could be apart of the day!

We clearly told my parents not too worry, what they can't give we wil be able too pay ourselfs. The don't need too worry or anything. Even if they don't give anything. We will be fine.

Now my problem is: they don't seem too care. My mom had a whole month too go look at the venue, I offered to go with her. But no, she hasn't gone yet. Even though she visits her sisters work place twice a weak, and its 100 meters away! My dad is very rude when we talk wedding plans. He sais ja how many people will fit in the court room, or oh so the weddings in march 2020?

Writing all of this down doesn't do it any justice. Fh mother realy helps and I just feel I want my parents too just be happy. And clearly they are not!

Any advice?

Re: My Parents.

• Maybe your parents feel like you put your FI's family before your own.  You know they needed time to save but moved the wedding so his family could use their ff miles.  If that's the case, talk to them.  Ask how they feel about the wedding plans and tell them your concerns. 

Also, did they offer to pay for your wedding? I know that it is a common tradtion but parents are not obligated to do so in this day and age. If they do not seem excited about the planning and are even making rude jokes about it maybe the best thing is to plan and pay for your own wedding.  You can do it on your timeline and exactly the way you and your FI want. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck

imageimage
  • Sorry, that you feel hurt by your parents reactions. The biggest thing to remember is that no one will ever be as excited about your wedding as you. I understand thoug as my dad doesn't want to walk me down the isle or do a father daughter dance. It hurt at first, but after I talked to him about it I found out it is becaes of his anxiety and he sort of has a stage fright that crosses over to being almost a phobia. You never really know whats going on in someones head til you talk to them. Hop this was helpful.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards