California-Los Angeles
Options

Writing your own ceremony...

Yes I have taken the task to write our own Ceremony...YES I'm nuts! I thought I should start since it may be time consuming and I'm sure it will need some editing and god knows what else!

So I googled some stuff found some that are beautiful and some that are just ok. But to be honest...I feel a bit stuckUndecided We want to have a nondenominational ceremony... this is what I have so far...

Welcome! And Goodafternoon family and friends we have gathered here today to celebrate the marriage between ME and FI
On behalf of me & FI, thank you for joining us
They are delighted that you have come to share in their joy
During this special day
By your presence, you celebrate with them
The love they have discovered in each other
And you support their decision to commit themselves to a lifelong relationship.
Marriage is a bond to be entered into only after considerable thought and reflection.
By making this commitment today, me & FI  relationship
will become stronger, better, and deeper
Today, me &FI demonstrate their devotion to each other
By dedicating themselves to a life together
And they show their respect for each other
By setting forth to honor the vows they have created
Today, their lives, which began on separate paths, will be joined as one.

So what do you ladies think?? Undecided I'm sorta stuck after that...should we talk about how we met? 

Thankfully  we decided on using our own vows but from the Corpse Bride movie. which go...
With this hand,
I will lift your sorrows.
Your cup will never empty,
For I will be your wine.
With this candle,
I will light your way in darkness.
With this ring,
I ask you to be mine,  I'm thinking of adding till death do us part...but how to ease it in isnt as easy.

FI said last nite to me...honestly it should be a breeze to create. WTF...I felt like chocking him...seriously ladies!

I'm just all over the placeFoot in mouth

Re: Writing your own ceremony...

• Options
    edited December 2011

We are also writing our own non-denominational ceremony.  I think you have a great start...so good I might just steal it from you (kidding, of course!).  I think putting something about how you met would be a nice way to really personalize it.  Have you thought about adding in a unity candle or sand ceremony?  I've been to a couple weddings that had one of the two and while the couple was lighting the candle or pouring the sand they had a friend or family member read The Apache Wedding Prayer.  It's a nice touch and adds a little bit of length to the ceremony if you are concerned about it being too short.

My sister bought me a couple books on writing your own ceremony/vows and they have some really good examples in them.  Unfortunately I don't have them with me so I can't give you the names but any bookstore will have plenty to choose from.

HTH and GL!

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll PM you my wedding ceremony.  Our officiant had an entire stack of papers with different ways to perform the ceremony so we essentially pieced together our ceremony with all of that.  I unfortunately don't have those papers anymore but I'll give you what we had said at ours and maybe that will help get you through some more.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh never thought of the books...I'll have to go to the library :D Thanks for sharing. No unity candle or sand ceremony. 

You could borrow it if you like....I did heheheWink
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I PM the ceremony to you too Marisa.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow thats so neat quemiras! unfortunately I'm no help, I just wanted to say that what you have so far sounds really good. I agree with pp, you should add how you both met. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just like Vans, I am not much help here, but what you have so far sounds very sweet =) I Heart it! Short, simple, and Sweet!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just about to ask for help with writing my vows!  How funny. 

Jagor,  can you send your info to me aswell please?  Thank you!
    Lncronee@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think your vows are very sweet  xxquemirasxx  I think you have a good grasp of what your vows should be like. I think stick to what your heart says and you should be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I liked what you have for your ceremony so far! While it might be a little chaotic, I think it's a really great and personal idea. Good luck in continue writing everything - I think you have a great start and you'll be able to come up with something wonderful to finish it all up with!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!!!! 

jagore thanks for the info it was great! VERY HELPFULLaughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards