Louisiana-New Orleans

Gift Cards

I'm sitting here figuring out whose going to be the person in charge of the gifts. Do you think it's rude to ask for Gift Cards instead of the actual gift?

Re: Gift Cards

• I wish things were different, but people on the registering and gifts board will usually tear you apart that yes it is rude to ask for money or gift cards in lieu of boxed gifts.  If someone asks what you would like, it can be suggested that you would prefer a gift card to purchase a favorite registry item.

It is more proper and polite for guests to avoid bringing a boxed gift to your reception, but unfortunately, you can't avoid that some people aren't aware of the inconvenience and want to save themselves the extra expense for shipping so they will bring boxed gifts to your reception.

My mother tried to put my mind at ease that they will help with this so maybe if you express your concerns to your family and wedding party they will reassure you that they will help out.  I will also try to discourage guests from bringing boxed gifts by showing them that will be parking as much as a block from the venue and crossing a set of tracks to get there.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Yes.  It is rude.  I got a few gifts at my wedding shower, returned them for gc and repurchased when I was home in NYC.  It wasn't too complicated.
  • It's not that we want money we don't want the hassle of shipping all those boxes back to TN. We would just like if our guests was going to buy us something from Ikea just get an gift card instead. I wouldn't be offended if someone asked for a giftcard to barnes and nobles than the actual gift itself. 
  • Understood, the best you can do is spread word of mouth if people ask, to remind them that gifts will have to be transported/shipped to Tennessee and that gift cards would work much better for you.  Hopefully most of your guests know you live in Tennessee and will have enough of a clue that they won't bring large gifts to the reception!  If you keep your registry small I've been told that encourages guests to give cash gifts or gift cards.

And although of course we all appreciate that someone chose to think of it us, it does stink that we have to deal with it when our guests aren't wise enough to realize what a hassle it can create for the bride and groom when boxed gifts are brought to the reception!
  • Yes, that's what I meant. We didn't wanna come across as assholes for not wanting boxed gifts brought to the reception we just can't afford to ship them all, lol. I think we'll start buzzing that folks not bring gifts to the reception. I'll  find some way to word it so it doesn't come off as being completely ungratful.
  • Just being straight and honest, in a sweet way, can be tough, but I would rather hear from someone exactly what their needs are, rather than hear of them having to rent a U-haul just to transport gifts.  
    I could see it now, "
    We are registered with Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, U-haul(we live in Tennessee, as we must get our heartfelt gifts back to the house), and J.C. Penney. Gift cards to the preceeding are greatly appreciated.
  • sbelle85sbelle85 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I personally do not think you should ask for gift cards instead of boxed gifts because it assumes that you expect everyone to bring some sort of gift. I agree with louisianablue that it's rude.

I think if people are gracious enough to purchase a gift, and they choose to bring that gift to the reception rather than have it mailed, you should figure out a way to get it to your home.

Maybe a relative or member of the bridal party who lives in your town can volunteer to drive the gifts back with them (assuming they drove), or take the unwanted gifts to the store where they can exchange them for store credit/gift cards. Check with the places you are registered at to see if this would be an option.
  • Like sbelle's idea of seeing if someone can help you by taking the gifts to the store and get a credit/gift card for you.
  • as someone who was married before and had a 120 guest wedding, I can say I didn't receive any gifts at the reception.  My sister was married in September and also received nothing there.  I think these days most people use the shipping address on your registry, or bring the gift to the bridal shower.  I would think that the number of gifts brought to the actual reception would be minimal, so hopefully it won't cause you too much of a hassle!  Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards