Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Just Engaged

I just got engaged this past Monday.  We already set a date and it is in 2013.  The reason for this is because we are paying for the wedding ourselves and need to save for it.  Also October 19th is our "anniversary".  Does anyone think that it is a bad thing to wait 4 years to get married?

Re: Just Engaged

• Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Congrats!!! I sure couldn't wait 4 years but if you can and it is what you need to do then you know what is best. I am excited for you!!! I just got engaged Saturday so I understand excitement, however, we are getting married in 5 months! ; )
  • Options
    We had originally planned for 2013 since he's about to grduate college and I wanted to give him time to get set in his career...but I'm to antsy for all that. We moved it from 2013 to 2012(which was August 10th 2012) but then I got even more antsy and convinced him to go with September 10th 2011. I'm comfortable with the 2011 date but anything longer just seemed way to long
  • Options
    We have been engaged 7 months and have 23 to go! We are also waiting for me to graduate and to but a house. but I don't think I could wait much longer than 2.5 years. I don't think it's a bad idea, but it is a long time. Some people look at me crazy when I tell them our wedding is September 2011.
    siggya>
  • Options
    Congrats! That would be so hard. My fiance and I discussed the possibility of waiting until 12/12/12 (don't even know what day of the week that is, but we started dating 6/6/06). However, we just couldn't wait that long! You could try taking out loans and planning a budgeted wedding. It's not uncommon for couples to take loans out for their wedding. In fact, think of it this way, you'll have more tax breaks as a married couple and will end up saving money in the long run. Either way, it's up to you. Marriage, for a lot of people, is just a piece of paper, not a cause for a drastic change in the relationship.
    - Rachel

Married 11/6/10

• Options
    Sorry previous poster, but you should not take out a loan for your wedding. I really disagree with that advice. Borrowing money is good for things like school, or a car to drive to your job.
  • Options
    Hi there! As long as you're ok with waiting that long (how long have you been dating!?), then it really shouldn't matter what other people think about the length of your engagement! :) Congrats!
  • Options
    We don't want to get a loan for the wedding.. to easy for things to do bad.  We have been dating for 11 years.  We will be together for 15 when we get married!!
  • Options
    I got engaged at the end of July and we are waiting until 2011 to get married also because of money. We decided once I am out of Grad School and we have both been working full time for 2 years we should be able to pay for it. So waiting 4 years isn't a huge deal. I know people who have been engaged for 7 years.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hey! congrats! I just got engaged in August. I always talked about having a two year engagement but....when i got home i started planning for a one year. But then reality set in and we are gonna pay for it ourselves aswell so as much as it sucks lol if you are paying for it yourself you kinda of have to wait that long. So now we are waiting two years. It's fine to wait that long if you can stand the anticipation! lol Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi, Congrats!I do not think it is a bad idea at all as long as you are both happy.  We are having a pay for parts of the wedding so I understand wanting to wait!Good luck!
  • Options
    Congrats!! My FI is in the Air force and I'm still in college so we're waiting almost 3 years to get married. We aren't in the financial position to get married just yet. Its hard because you get so excited but it you think about it, you really only have to wait 3 years since you have to start planning your wedding atleast a year before the date :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input.  Glad to hear that I am not the only one waiting!!
  • Options
    Congrats! If your in love and think you can wait that long then go for it.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards