Rhode Island
Options

Oceancliff food-awful?

Calling all former oceancliff brides or people familiar with the food.  I have heard from numerous people that the food at the oceancliff is not very good.  Food is one of the most important aspects of our wedding to us.  Has anyone been to a wedidng at Oceancliff or had an event there that can add their food experience? Please be honest. Much appreciated...thanks guys :)

Re: Oceancliff food-awful?

• Options
    I'm getting married at OceanCliff in May and everyone I tell that I'm getting married there has always said that the food is good. When me and my fiance went to the food tasting we had no complaints on anything. This is the first of me hearing that people said they didn't like the food there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is also news to me! I'm a native Newporter and have never heard ocean cliff having bad food! I've eaten at the restaurant there (Safari Room) many times and the food is good. We also had our reception at Regatta Place, which is owned and operated by the same folks as OC and the food was amazing at our wedding!! You've definitely chosen one of the best food places available in Newport. If you're that concerned, perhaps try going to the Safari Room for dinner some evening. They're different chefs I believe, but the concept should be the same. Or, ask the sales person you're working with if you can do a mini tasting. Can't hurt to ask!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    First I've heard that.  Been to 3 weddings there and the food was good.
    Paul & Nicole 7.27.2013 Glen Manor Portsmouth, RI
  • Options
    This is teh first time I have heard that as well.I went to two weddings there last year.

the first wedding had the basic menu (I think at the time it was 75$pp) and I had chicken. It was fine. I mean it was pretty standard wedding fare, and tasted fine and good. Nothing to write home about but it certainly wasn't awful.

The 2nd wedding bumped up to the next level of food and I had a steak. And that was good. The veggies were good from what I remember and my steak was done medium.
    No complaints.

I also had brunch and lunch at the safari room (I got engaged at Ocean Cliff) and the food was good then too!
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    i will be the odd one out - i didn't like the food. the chicken wasnt anything stellar - but worst of all - it was kinda cold. we went to a wedding there on nov. 5th...that is just my opinion though.
  • Options
    My brother was in a wedding there and said that for the price the food was not worth it--I looked at them for my wedding and to be honest, I wasn't impressed by their sales pitch

My brother also worked weddings there during college--he said it was okay but very overpriced--you aren't paying for good food, you are paying for the view
  • Options
    I consider great food to be any food like the chanler. That is incredible in my opinion. My guests are from Europe and we all have expectations for our taste palette. For me, if the food is gross then I don't care how great the view is, I just couldn't spend all that money there. Does anyone have any recommendations of places in RI that have It all going for them? Also what are the portion sizes like st Oceancliff ?
  • Options
    I personally love the food at our venue, Atlantic Beach Club - they have a restaurant downstairs so we have been able to try the food. I have been told they bump up the food for weddings and make it more presentable, etc. the portions are great though. I will have to check back in with you on Sunday because we are actually going for the tasting on Saturday! cant wait!
  • Options
    Try Castle Hill, it's right down the road from OceanCliff. Newport Restaurant Week is coming up at the end of March so that would be a good opportunity to try a few places out. Both Castle Hill and Safari Room at Ocean Cliff are partaking.
    www.gonewport.com has more info on restaurant week.
    And, no offense meant, but I've been to the Chanler twice and once was a horrible experience. I ordered a rabbit confit (sp?) and it was filled with tiny bones to the point that I couldn't eat it. I am not a picky eater, and I really try to avoid sending food back, but this was excessive. I was not impressed for the kind of money they charge and the servers were very snooty, at best. Just my two cents.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I am getting married at Belle Mer and I have to say their food was INCREDIBLE!   I've been to Europe and I know what you mean about the food, I think the presentation, portions and the food itself is comparable.  

Belle Mer has the view, location, food - but it comes with a price tag, you definately pay for their service.  Don't get me wrong, they will work w/in a budget, but if you want the best, they are able and willing to get it for you.

The food isn't really all that overpriced, but when you add in the extras, it really adds up.  Chicken and fish are only $60/pp, steak $72-90/pp, but the cheese and crudete platters are upwards of $16-20/pp, making it $80-110/pp and that's not even passed hors d'oeurves, drinks, etc. so it can easily add up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I like the food at the restaurant (Safari) but like a few others, I though the wedding food was just okay, standard wedding fare and for the price, I thought it would be a lot better. I am a bit picky, I much prefer the restaurant and wedding food at The Chanler or ABC which is consistently great (I've been to a number of weddings/special events in the past).
  • Options
    If the chanler would fit a larger crowd and disnt have a music noise policy, I would totally go there in an instant! I may have a rehearsal dinner there or something else. Thanks for all you're feedback so far! I hear good things about the abc but do they still have young crowds hanging out on the porch in the summer?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_oceancliff-food-awful?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:f3a95560-0e27-4b7c-92fc-4b2eee9bdb1aPost:6c5e4481-e46d-44af-8e92-8b159d25337c">Re: Oceancliff food-awful?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the chanler would fit a larger crowd and disnt have a music noise policy, I would totally go there in an instant! I may have a rehearsal dinner there or something else. Thanks for all you're feedback so far! I hear good things about the abc but do they still have young crowds hanging out on the porch in the summer?
    Posted by glamorous0813[/QUOTE]

The ABC was pretty amazing in my opinion, we went to a wedding there and liked it so much we booked our own wedding there for the following year.  The food is great.

As far as crowds and noise, the patio is open during the summer and will have guests on it, but you can neither see nor hear them from the upstairs banquet room.  You can't even see them when you walk in because when you walk in the front doors the hostess stand is in front of you, you turn immediately to the right and go upstairs.  The patio is all the way through the restaurant and to the left. 

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I looked at pictures online of the Atlantic beach pavillion and it really seems gorgeous! Now that I've heard the food is amazing I'm going to consider it! I'm glad to hear that you can not see the guests on the patio or hear them because that would really bug me. Has anyone else had a different experience with that issue? Has anyone else been to a wedding there that can give me some honest opinions? At urisweethearts--how did you like the tasting?
  • Options
    The space is gorgeous and the views of the ocean amazing--but my brother was just there this week for a fundraiser and he said the food was mediocre--his direct quote was that he wasn't impressed.  Growing  up in Newport, people in my family have been to dinner there a number of times and been to weddings there as well--the food was ok--to me it is typical wedding fare--we didn't even consider it when looking for a venue for reasons besides the food--you should really go there and try the food yourself--it is the only way to know for sure.

Happy searching.
  • Options
    glamorous -
    we had a great time at the tasting and the food was really good. both sets of parents and FI and I were very happy. and my dad is a hard one to please. we tried the filet, surf and turf(filet with lobster tail) salmon and chicken with a mandarin sauce. all were great and the portions are big!! as far as the beach club itself - they have been more than accomodating to work with us to give us what we want, as far as open bar and cutting down the price per plate because it's a friday wedding. the only problem we did run into this weekend that became a little stressful was we wanted to choose 3 options of entree - the surf and turf, chicken and salmon is what we chose. so we thought we were all set. they even told my family that they didnt think with a chicken and surf/turf - a lot of ppl would order the salmon...so they would be willing to work with us on the fee they would have charged for 3 entrees. great right? well i get a call sunday morning -the chef doesnt want to make possibly 4 entrees (bc the surf turf has 2 components) so needless to say this is first "issue"  we have had with them and i was a little upset. after much discussion haha, we are now just doing surf/turf and chicken. my parents are thinking about spicing up the cocktail hour with a raw bar -after they went to the ABC with their concerns about not being able to have the 3 choice we wnated and the club was more than accomodating to do a raw bar or a station i nthe cocktail to provide more seafood options. it's kinda long story. but it seems like it will work out. i myself am not sold on the raw bar yet - as it would need to go in the main ballroom. even though there is enough space in there and they are going to open the doors to the ballroom early anyways - so ppl arent as cramped in teh cocktail hour rom and can see the ocean view. with the wedding on 9/14 i dont think many crowds will be around(after labor day) but as a PP said, you don't see or hear outside from the room upstrairs
    GL!
  • Options

Had my first wedding reception at Ocean Cliff.  The food is the only good thing to look back on lol.  I dont think you will be disappointed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards