Latino Weddings

music

Hi girls first post on this board. My name is Kelly and fiance is Jay he is Puerto Rican and he doesn't listen to spanish music so we are looking for some songs his family might enjoy during the reception. His sister is going to give us some names but thought i'd ask here too.

Thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image

Re: music

• edited December 2011
    You might ask your dj/band.  They might be able to help.  Spanish music can depend on many factors but most especially the age and knowledge of the group. There is the current and popular music, then there are older tracks that are much more specif to generation and further cultural tracks. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yea our DJ is white and has no clue LOL So guess we will just go by what my FI sister has if nobody else has any suggestions. I would say older music tho.
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree that it depends on what kind of music your FI's family likes...... My FI looooves bachata, salsa, and merengue- but his family LOVES raggaeton. Gather more info!

Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    We are big batacha fans.  Even though your fiance doesn't listen to Spanish music regularly.  He might have some ideas of what he likes or dislikes.  I would ask family members and friends.
  • Ellie*xoEllie*xo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    - consider pretty much ANYTHING from Marc Anthony, esp if family is puerto rican!

- Elvis Crespo (merengue) "suavemente" is a popular one

-Los Hermanos Rosario (an older band, but great merengue tunes)

i'm drawing a blank on other stuff.  LOL.  i'm not a fan of current bachata or reggeaton so i can't help you there.  merengue from the 80's and 90's were the best in my opinion.  good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Why not a hire a bilingual DJ that specializes in American/Spanish weddings?  The DJ will have a ton of songs in his arsenal and then based on what people get up and dance to during your actual reception he will play more of those types of songs.

You're in CT, right?  You should have no problem finding a bilingual DJ in the tri-state area.  Not sure where in CT you are, but I'm using Colorblind Productions (www.colorblindprd.com) here in NJ.  It's a husband and wife couple (both are Puerto Rican-American) and they specialize in bilingual weddings.  They have great prices and may be willing to travel up to CT if you ask.  Even if they tack on a travel fee, you will still be getting a great price.  Let me know if you have any questions about them... just hired them and couldn't be happier and on the NNJ boards they get great reviews.

Good luck!  :-)
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Woops!  Nevermind!  Just saw that you already have your DJ!  Forget everything in the above post, haha.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think the best thing to do is ask his family for song requests. I don't know if they will feel offended for not playing any spanish music. It may be something you, FI, and the family need to discuss. You can have the DJ play R&B, dance, and a few spanish songs. Maybe make a list of songs you both like. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    salsa, try old classic salsa, like La Fania All Stars, Celia Cruz, Tito Puente
    for newer salsa try Gilberto Santa Rosa, Marc Anthony, Luis Enrique

for merengue try Limite 21, Elvis Crespo

for boleros try Charlie Zaa (great classy and chic Puerto Rican boleros)

for baladas and pop try Chayanne, Ricky Martin, Cristian Castro

for bachata try Aventura

for trios try Los Condes, Trio Vegabajeno (for the older people, his grandparents will probably love it)

for reggeaton try Jowell y Randy, Wisin y Yandel, Kris y Angel, Daddy Yankee

Since Puerto Rican music is so happy and loud it can take the classiness and formality out of any event (trust me, thats what im fighting with right now)
    but i have listed only the classiest and cleanest cut of these genres so your event maintains a level of formality and chicness.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone! This did help me out :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards