Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engagement Ring Questions

Hi everyone!  Congrats to all the other new future brides out there!  :)

I have a question (or two) about my engagement ring and was hoping someone here may be able to answer it for me...

My fiancé  (hehe - still getting used to that) gave me his grandmother's ring (she passed away at Christmastime).  It is very special and full of sentimental value, but he thinks (and I agreed) that one stone in it needs replacing.  It is a simple gold band with three small diamonds in a line next to each other.  She had lost the center stone at some point in her life and replaced it herself with a stone of noticeably lower quality than the other two.  (There are 2 bad photos below...)

So here's the first question...  Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a small stone with a larger one?  The three stones are probably about 1/3 ct. each (just an estimate) and we'd like to replace the poorer one with something closer to a full ct.  I realize that it may be hard with the settings so close together - can a jeweler just out a setting and put in a larger one?  Just curious...

Also, the ring is way too big on me and I definitely need it resized.  Since it's an antique and from Scotland, and we live in  NYC, we obviously can't bring it to the original store.  How long should I expect it to take to have this resized from about a 6.5 to about a 5.5?

Thanks ladies!
Lauren

Re: Engagement Ring Questions

• Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010

I would recommend taking this type of question to pricescope.com

It has tons & tons of knowledgeable jewelers & newly engaged on there. But in my opinion I don't think you can do what you are wanting (getting a bigger stone) in that setting. It would be much easier just to buy a new setting. GL

Resizing should take a a little less than a week if you go to a store that does it in house.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Go to a jeweler in your area that does custom work.  They'll be able to give you price quotes and time frames.  You'll find a lot more out that way.  I would do it locally as well and make sure it's a reputable jeweler.  But yes, you should be able to do what you want too with it.
  • Options
    Just as a side note, won't two 1/3 ct diamonds look a bit awkward next to a 1ct diamond?  I'd take it to a jeweler to see what it looks like before comitting to this idea.
  • Options
    All good advice... and to pp, I think she means the *center* stone would be the largest, flanked by the 1/3 ct stones.

If for some reason it absolutely cannot be done (which I find difficult to beieve) and you go for a new setting, consider melting down the gold in his grandmother's ring to either make the e-ring setting or make a wedding band, incorporating the two stones you'd like to keep in one of the rings.
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only bad part about resizing, which I have experienced, is that is sometimes loosens the prongs and diamonds are more easily popped out.  So with that being said, I agree with Jaytee501 that having the gold melted down and creating a new ring in exactly your size is the way to go.  That way, you could also very easily replace the middle diamond with a much larger one!
  • Options
    Yes, I understand that the large stone would be the center.  I just thought it might look weird to have two small diamonds surrounding a considerably larger one.  Usually jewelers have some kind of recommended ratio/formula to decide how large the secondary stones should be in comparison to the larger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards