Catholic Weddings

Billings Method

So there's a billings class next week that I can go to and checkout and I'm wondering if it's worth our time. I have irregular periods, is creighton the only method I should be looking at or can I look into billings as well?

Re: Billings Method

• Really any modern method of NFP will work with irregular cycles and can help to diagnose any issues if there are any - irregularities don't necessarily mean problems, anyway. Billings is the easiest method to learn and use and is used by women all over the world effecively. I'm actually a Billings teacher in the MSP area if you have any other questions :) I know Creighton tends to cost more than Billings if that is a factor in your choice as well.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_billings-method?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:289807ff-b91e-4942-9184-74d9dd272b32Post:4d1b309e-9da0-4b23-af05-2c6f59b91555">Billings Method</a>:
    [QUOTE]So there's a billings class next week that I can go to and checkout and I'm wondering if it's worth our time. I have irregular periods, is creighton the only method I should be looking at or can I look into billings as well?
    Posted by Coco1988[/QUOTE]
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• if irregularity is the only problem by itself (which could be just stress related), then any method is fine. 

But if the irregularity is caused by something more serious, and you need NAPRO help, then Creighton is the method they use. 
  • Oh thank you for the info! So I am calling tomorrow and going to try to get into a class next week. What can I expect at this first class?
  • Which method will you be doing? If it is Billings, the first class she (or he) will teach you the method - usually about an hour. It's easy enough to learn the rules in that amount of time. Then you'll have 2 weeks of charting and then a follow up with your instructor (and then subsequent follow-ups until you feel confident on your own).

I also want to add that while Creighton and NaPro are indeed connected and are great for solving reproductive health issues, Billings will also provide you and your healthcare professional with the information for diagnosing health issues.

• Yes the appointment next week will be with the intention of learning the billings method. I suppose I can speak more in depth with the instructor.  The only strange thing that happens is I can miss periods every once in awhile, so I will be super regular for say eight months then miss a month or two for no reason (I believe it's stress related most often), then go back to normal.  Is it taught in a group setting or one-on-one? I am hoping to attend my sessions at Holy Family, not sure if it's different depending on where you go.
  • I believe the session at HF is a group session, though who knows  - you may be the only ones in the class :) Most, if not all, teachers are willing to do individual sessions as well.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_billings-method?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:289807ff-b91e-4942-9184-74d9dd272b32Post:e028052f-26ab-490a-9c9e-99f52350695b">Re: Billings Method</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes the appointment next week will be with the intention of learning the billings method. I suppose I can speak more in depth with the instructor.  The only strange thing that happens is I can miss periods every once in awhile, so I will be super regular for say eight months then miss a month or two for no reason (I believe it's stress related most often), then go back to normal.  Is it taught in a group setting or one-on-one? I am hoping to attend my sessions at Holy Family, not sure if it's different depending on where you go.

• I think my first session was kind of an "Intro. to Billings"-type thing, where the instructor just went over the basics of human fertility, the church's stance, how Billings works, etc.  Then we had some more in-depth one-on-one sessions after that where I practiced charting and she went over them with me.
    Anniversary

• Ok I know with the creighton method they are willing to submit the bill to insurance, do they offer that with the billings method also?
  • You'd have to check with your instructor.  The only cost we had was paid directly to our teacher and it was like $90.  I didn't even think about submitting it.
    Anniversary

• Our class is 200 not sure if it's worth it or not. I do think it would be 100 covered though. I'll run it by my instructor asap.
  • So, in regards to the cost, I say this:

$200 now is a lot cheaper than a baby before you're ready for it.
    Anniversary

• Coco1988Coco1988 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Oh yeah I'm not worried about the cost I just feel like if so many people are insistent on covering artificial methods I kind of want it documented somewhere in the big insurance industry that people do request and seek other methods... I probably sound crazy.
  • No, you are NOT crazy! It should be covered under insurance. Hopefully as more women press for this coverage and insist that their doctors utilize non pill methods, it will be more widely covered.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she said "not worth it" in regards to dealing with the insurance - not that the class wasn't worth it :) But dealing with insurance over $200... yeah, maybe not worth the hassle

• My doctor wrote a perscription for Creighton NFP.
  • Sorry! I was typing my response quickly on a phone and I see where my response was confusing.

Yes, I meant I don't know if it is worth even running through my insurance other than to make a point. Not doubting the usefulness of nfp and am very anxious, in the best way, for my first class. And I meant for it to read that it should cover 100% if I understand my health insurance plan correctly. Thanks for all the input!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_billings-method?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:289807ff-b91e-4942-9184-74d9dd272b32Post:730b14a9-20c9-4590-8651-b337e5d3ebe5">Re:Billings Method</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok I know with the creighton method they are willing to submit the bill to insurance, do they offer that with the billings method also?

<div>Sorry, late reply :)  With the Creighton method... neither my insurance (Aetna) nor my husband's (Medica) would cover our classes at the Fertility Care Center at St. Joseph's Hospital.  We ended up paying a reduced rate based on income level!  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards