North Carolina-Outer Banks

guest books

What are you doing or have you done for a guest book?  I've seen ideas with Mad Libs, polaroids, and postcards to send home.  I know I want to do more than a plain book and my FI hates the ones where guests sign on a frame (he's picky).   I would love to see pics or links to websites of your ideas on what you are doing
Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: guest books

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm not sure what we are doing either, I wanna see what the ladies say about this too!

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'm doing one.  Chances are it would go in a closet or in the attic and we'd never look at it again.  I'll have the photos to remember who celebrated with us.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I have to be honest, I don't think I'm doing one either. My sister's has a dust bunny the size of a small rhino on hers. (Hmmm... bunny the size of a rhino....doesn't make much sense, does it?)
  • edited December 2011
    We did post cards.  Instead of having guests mail them, we had a letter tray for them.  I've heard from other DW brides that the post cards don't always make it back to the bride and groom so I thought that was safer.

I'm making a hybrid wedding scrapbook/album.  I put the postcards in clear sleeves so that you can see the front and back of them at the same time.  I love that we did it this way because it won't end up in a box at the back of our closet. It's in our album which will stay in our living room.

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We are stealing the idea from a wedding we were in at the OBX last year. Instead of a guest book, we are doing something like the postcards, but on the back we will ask everyone to write a wish for us, or prediction for a year away. We will do something similar to Ms_Teach and put them in an album so we can keep it with our wedding album. It creates a more personal touch than people just signing their names in a guest book...
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not bothering with this.  I've got enough stuff going on.  I think most people bring a card and will pretty much say the same thing in there.
  • edited December 2011

ms_teach- that is a great idea, and its affordable. 

Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Steve Alterman's beautiful book of photography from the OBX. It has lots of space around the images for people to sign. Will make a great coffee table book.
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen something maybe it was on Martha Stewarts website but not too positive about that, it's a variety of plates that your guests could sign on and later be made into wall art for your home, it looks really neat if your into that kind of thing! if I can figure out how to post a pic I will.
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    we were thinking of having people sign the mat of a framed picture. Not sure yet. My mom wants to include some traditional things, like the guestbook, so we are definitely doing something. My future SIL had one of those glass fish (where its sitting up and its mouth is open so you can put stuff in it) and had people put mesaages on little slips of paper with ribbon attached.  I haveb't seen it since the wedding, so I don't know how much you would go back and look at the messages. It was cute though.
    I do recommend not having a guesbook attendant. I did that at her wedding and it was kind of awkward haha.
  • varedbirdvaredbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used a picture book of the Outer Banks. I collect coffee table books from places that I have visited.  So this is the perfect addition.  We had people sign on the inside front cover or on an individual page.  I love it!
  • jlbmousiejlbmousie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Since we are having a fall wedding in October we have a picture that is a bare tree with two little birds and pumpkins at the base of the tree.  Off to the corner of the picture is our names and wedding date. 

I have individual leaves that  are stickers.  After guests sign the leaves they can peel off the back and place it on the picture.  It is like the fingerprint tree, but I didn't want to deal with the mess of ink.

We didn't want a book that sat on a shelf or in a box.  

I found the print on Etsy.  The artist customized it for us.   

• edited December 2011
    We are also doing the postcards instead of a traditional guest book. I plan on buyiing postcards when i get down to the OBX and I have a little mini mailbox for guests to put them in.
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Now you ladies have me wondering what we should do....I like the postcard idea and I like the coffee table book too...hmmmm
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered a surfboard guest book on etsy
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/58554584/27-inch-starfish-beach-wedding-surfboard?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=surf+board+guest+book&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
    It was really cute and came out awesome.  We are planning to put it out on our patio as decoration, if we ever unpack all of the wedding stuff.  :)
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're doing a photobooth and will use that as our guest book; it prints 2 copies of the pictures so they can stick one copy in the album the photobooth provides, and then take the other copy for themselves.  Our friends who got married in Vegas had one and it was SO much fun for everyone.  The couple said that's the only pictures they really look back at (and always gives them a laugh) and they had a blast in it all night too.
    We're using: ShutterBooth and they have a variety of different packages for different prices.  We're not having our photographer for the entire reception or too late into it, and having this as well makes us fully comfortable that we won't miss any great photo opps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mccann58mccann58 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of 2 possibilities for this.  The first is ordering a photo book of our engagement photos that guests could sign around the edges of the photos.  The second is something I saw on a website that was called "Message In A Bottle".  You make your own label for the empty wine bottle and then have little pieces of paper that guests can write messages on and roll up and put in the bottle.  I was even thinking rather than just having one bottle, I could place one on each of the tables next to my centerpieces.
  • ftdr2bftdr2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing a photobook with our engagement pictures in it.  I found it on a groupon and it was $15 for $50 towards a picture book. We figured we might as well put our engagement pictures to good use.
    Mrs. Lauren Barry
  • mandafite821mandafite821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you go on etsy.com they have an entire wedding section for guest books with the most creative ideas.  My favorite is one company where you send in a photo of the couple, and they turn it into a puzzle.  Then you have your guests sign the puzzle pieces as the guest book.  I think I might do that one, b/c my fiance and I like to do puzzles when we go on vacation. 
  • edited December 2011

A friend of mine makes Wine Bottle Guest books- You can check out her site here:
    http://evcreations.com/live/index.php

She makes custom lables that you put on wine bottles (of your choosing)- Each bottle is for an anniversary (1st, 5th, 10th, 20th- whatever you want), so people sign the bottles and then you open and drink them on that anniversary!

The only downside is that it's a bit expensive to buy a good bottle of wine that will last 20+ years, however I think it's worth it.

• edited December 2011
    I like the tree idea where people leave their thumb prints as the leaves and then sign it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards