South Asian Weddings
Options

In honor of my mother...

Hello Fellow Knotties,

My mother was born in Mumbai and spent most of her life in India. She came to Canada to go to school, and that is how she met my father, who is Canadian. In June of 2009, she passed away. I miss her dearly and am so heartbroken that I cannot share in my new engagement joy with her.

My mother was Parsee, my father is Lutheran so I was never given my navjot, nor was I baptized. I want to do something at my wedding in memory of my mom and her culture, but I have no idea where to begin. I've never been to a Parsee wedding, nor have I even been to any South Asian wedding.

Does anyone have any ideas of what sorts of food, traditions, or elsewise that would be appropriate for me to include in my ceremony or reception? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
-a-

Re: In honor of my mother...

• Options
    MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi amcmahon4020

I'm sorry to hear about your mum *hug*

It is very nice of your to consider her and represent her culture in your wedding.

There are many south asian things you can incorporate into your wedding.  I think a nice thing to do would be to have mendhi night.

I'm not sure what kind of dress you had in mind, but you could wear an indian inspired dress or a lengha or a sari

I hope this gives you some ideas :)  I'm sure the other girls will also lend a hand

Where in Canada are you located.  I'm in Toronto so if you need any vendor recs particularly for your south asian requirements ...send me a PM :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards