May 2012 Weddings
Options

More Make Up Talk

I'd add this to the post that was started the other day, but I think TK ate it.

I went into Sephora today, full intending to get the Laura Mercier Flawless Face kit. I talked to one of the employees, and she HIGHLY recommends the Makeup Forever HD stuff for weddings- I'm going back in April to have them apply it (she also recommended holding off on getting anything until closer to the date) and see how it works with my skin.

For all of those with outside ceremonies/ receptions, she also mentioned that anything with SPF in it will whiten your face in pictures. I told her that I HAVE to wear sunblock (I burn after being outside for 1/2 an hour on a cloudy day- Sunblock is imperitive), and I finally got out of her that the least noticble thing I could do was mix SPF moisturizer with a non-SPF moisturizer. 

For awhile she was trying to convince me that a layer of make up on my face would protect it from UV rays. WTH.

Anyway- Thought I'd share the results of my recon mission ;p

Re: More Make Up Talk

• Options
    That is interesting. I think I would ask your photographer if he/she finds that moisturizer with SPF in it does that. I think it sounds kind of odd, and considering she thinks wearing makeup will cause you not to burn... I question her credibility!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As a photographer....I have never heard this...however things with spf can make your face look glossy, due to the lotion aspect...just as any other lotions, so a matte finish of some sort after, or powder can help with that. (Powder/powder form bronzer done right can be a saving grace with pictures...when I worked in a portrait studio we often asked people to bring powder to thier appointments, because a lot of people put on lots of glossy foundations or glimmer, but its wayyy to shiny for flashes or bright daylight sun) That might be the white shes referring to the glare spots.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_more-make-up-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:bba237c2-d592-43d5-b8b8-79c2b1440f10Post:3444b87e-6182-46eb-b588-d8415cc8d6c6">Re: More Make Up Talk</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is interesting. I think I would ask your photographer if he/she finds that moisturizer with SPF in it does that. I think it sounds kind of odd, and considering she thinks wearing makeup will cause you not to burn...<strong> I question her credibility</strong>!
    Posted by SunshineShades[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too! That just seemed so completely bizarre to me that she was recommending I stay outside all day without sunblock- So strange. I'm taking her advice with a grain of salt.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I've asked my photographer about makeup before- He says he's never had a problem with anyone's makeup, but one girl did tan herself orange before the wedding and all of her pictures came out weird ;)</div>
  • Options
    My MUA said the same thing about SPF and photos. 

I'd ask your photographer what they recommend, but yeah... layers of makeup does not equal protection from the sun lol.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_more-make-up-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:bba237c2-d592-43d5-b8b8-79c2b1440f10Post:6b497247-97ab-4095-9698-b9484828b58d">Re: More Make Up Talk</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a photographer....I have never heard this...however things with spf can make your face look glossy, due to the lotion aspect...just as any other lotions, so a matte finish of some sort after, or powder can help with that. (Powder/powder form bronzer done right can be a saving grace with pictures...when I worked in a portrait studio we often asked people to bring powder to thier appointments, because a lot of people put on lots of glossy foundations or glimmer, but its wayyy to shiny for flashes or bright daylight sun) <strong>That might be the white shes referring to the glare spots.</strong>
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Entirely possible! She also used the phrase "washed out" and I've heard other people say that in relation to shimmery makeup in photographs.</div><div>
    </div><div>In your photographer opinion, would a Lancome moisturizer with SPF in it cause this glossy effect? Or would it be something I'd have to test out to know for sure? The moisturizer I use really absorbs well into my skin, so I can't imagine it would photograph glossy/ white/ washed out.

</div>
  • Options
    Hmm that is interesting. I would get a second opinion from a MUA and your photographer.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    @ toothpastechica- Thanks for the feedback! I'm not super crazy concerned about SPF/ moisturizer glare, but if there are simple steps to help prevent problems, I'm all for them. I'll definitely keep powder handy the day of :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_more-make-up-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:bba237c2-d592-43d5-b8b8-79c2b1440f10Post:8df39e50-4486-42c3-b19e-ecbe3945f032">Re: More Make Up Talk</a>:
    [QUOTE]i was thinking of going to the MAC counter to talk to them about my day of makeup.  but this makeup forever HD has had a lot of people raving about it in lots of threads.  i'd rather not wait until closer to the wedding to make my makeup selection because i like to try it out for a while and get used to it so that i'll be better at applying it on the day of. <strong>the white face thing i'm concerned about is not about outdoor photos, it's about when you get a picture of you in a dark room (reception) and the flash makes your face go SUPER white... like a ghost or something</strong>. 
    Posted by comeongetdown[/QUOTE]

That is the photographer you have not the make-up you wear. The flash should never be pointed directly at someones face unless you are intentionally planning on an artistic shot where it looks over exposed. More likely to happen if you have friends taking pictures then a pro, because pros will have the appropriate flashes and be able to focus, and use light appropriately.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards