Illinois-Chicago
Options

Changing Middle Name to Maiden Name

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on changing your middle name to your maiden name. I went to the Illinois DMV and they said I needed a court order to change my middle name. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Liz

Re: Changing Middle Name to Maiden Name

• Options
    edited December 2011
    my FSIL did this... but I am 100% positive she didnt have to go to the court system.  ill find out...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok -- she said that she did it at the social security office on the same day she changed from maiden name to married name. It's just a fee and paperwork and then they send you the new card.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You need to go to the social security office before you can change your name anywhere else. Until your name is officially change at the social security office, it's not legal. The people at SS will change your middle and last name with no questions asked as long as you have your marriage license. 

Here's the order in which I did things: 

1. Social security office
    2. DMV
    3. Work related stuff
    3. Credit cards and other bills

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with PP.

On the SS name change application, you'll put want you want your new (full) name to be.  Just list your maiden name as your middle name on the application.

Like PP, the order I changed my name in:

1. SS Office
    2. DMV
    3. Work (they updated insurance info for me)
    4. Credit cards, etc.

Several items I updated (renters insurance, credit cards, student loans) required a copy of the marriage license, so you many not have to wait until you have your named updated at the DMV.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards