Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Pronouncement of husband & wife

When it comes time to pronounce us as husband & wife, can my brother make the announcement instead of the officient who is marrying us?  We are trying to include my brother in the ceremony.

Re: Pronouncement of husband & wife

• Options
    That is something you will have to talk to your officiant about. If you are getting married in a church, I am thinking the answer is going to be no. Definitely check with the officiant directly on this one.

If not, could your Dad be a reader or something? Also, being a guest is also an honor.
  • Options
    Ditto Missy Sue.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I don't think that he can.  The officiant generally says "By the authority vested in me by the State of New Jersey and the Presbyterian Church, I now pronounce you husband and wife." I'm not sure under what authority your brother could pronounce you, you know?

Perhaps your brother could do the introduction of you after the pronouncement if you must have him do that.

But sorry to say, IMO, that reeks of the moment in Pam and Jim's wedding on The Office where Michael jumped in yelled out "I am proud to present for the first time.....yada yada yada so that he'd be included."

I think having your brother do this would break up the flow of that part of the ceremony, and frankly, having him say one sentence isn't really "including" him all that much.

If you want to include him, make him one of your attendants.

But a big good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I think whomever is announcing it must be ordained and have the authority to pronounce you husband and wife. Check with your officiant though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    how about a brother/sister dance at the reception instead?
  • Options
    Pretty sure that's a legal issue. Maybe your brother could do a reading or introduce you at the reception or make a toast?
  • Options
    I like the brother introducing at the reception (the part where you walk in after leaving).
    "Now for the first time as husband and wife, I'm proud to present my sister and new brother in law..." or something.

My brother is my "man of honor" so, I took it to the extreme? :)
  • Options
    Ditto for me on brother introducing you two into the reception - then there are no legal issues and he can participate and make it more personalized.
  • Options

Not to keep repeating the same thing, but there's got to be a better way to include your brother without what could be an awkward and forced transition -- IF it were even possible. I don't know what the laws are in MI, or what your religious beliefs are, but in CA, one may get ordained for a day to perform a ceremony. Is that an option? We had my BIL do ours. There were also a couple of people I wanted to include w/o making them bm's, so I asked one to do a reading and another to be the witness to sign our marriage license.

• Options
    Another option (other than him being in wedding party, an usher, a reader, or introduce you in dinner)-he could introduce you two onto the dance floor : 'and now, dancing for the first time as a married couple...'-something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards