Florida-West Coast

Ipod vs. Dj

I'm nervous about having a dj play ridiculous music that I hate. I'm kind of a music snob. So, I was thinking I would just have an ipod playing only the music that I want. However, I've heard from a friend that ipods for music at weddings kind of leaves the reception a little unstructured. I want a little structure but not necessarily a dj. There will be no cha-cha slide at my wedding. I refuse! Haha.

What are your views on iPods for wedding music?

Thanks!
Kim

Re: Ipod vs. Dj

• kmf218kmf218 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to an Ipod wedding and I do have to agree with your friend. It was a little hard to figure out when the special dances and events like the cake cutting were going on but It is a great way to save money. If you do decide to do an ipod reception I suggest having a laptop backup and adding recordings that fade into the end of a song that announce special events through out the reception.  

A good dj will ask you for a "must play" and "dont play" song list and then add in songs if needed. Since you are really particular about your music I would sit down and gather all the songs you like into a list and find a dj who will play only whats there. If more songs are needed, then you can specify the genre. If you find the right dj to work with, you wont need to worry about hearing things you dont like.

I know how difficult it can be to have to listen to songs you don't like, especially at your own party but you do have to consider your guests taste. My FI brother got married last year and his wife had the dj play tons of latin music (I didn't mind bc thats what I grew up with) but my FI family didn't know how to dance to it and felt left out. What my FI and I are doing to solve this is asking our parents to compile a list of at least 20 to 30 songs they would like to hear. That compiled with the songs we have selected will allow for a nice variety. 
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree with the above poster and your friend. I have been to an iPod wedding, and to be honest, it was pretty disorganized and really not as fun as it could have been. I think the music can really make the party- and this was a flop.

I also agree with finding the right DJ. We worked with Rob Sword from Sword Sounds- and I highly recommend him.  He has a great online database to enter all your play/do not play songs, all the special events and dances, special instructions, etc. He was nice, organized, professional, and stuck to our play lists perfectly.Not cheesy at all, and minimal talking/interruptions.  The dance floor was packed all night.  We specifically said no line dances, and no one gets the microphone to talk, and he respected that. 

Overall, I just feel like your wedding day goes by so fast, and you should be able to enjoy it. The iPod might be an added source of stress, and a professional will help keep everything running smoothly. Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    My suggestion is to go to Weddingwire.com and check out the reviews on Rob Swords and Grant Hemond and see what it is these guys add to the day. Beyond structure, it's often the energy, master of ceremonies-level running of the show and unexpected memories that DJs add that  makes it worth a few hundred extra. We agree with you! No games, no schmaltz, no line dances! And we're meeting with both these DJs next week to tell them so.
    :)

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011

Is there a certain club or hangout with a DJ that plays the type of music you like? Just thinking maybe they would be more your taste.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Those are great idea. I didn't know anything about djs. I just had the image of just ridiculous cha-cha slide and strobe lights and bluh. Thanks for your responses!! I'll definitely look into some djs to see exactly what I want to do.

Kim
  • mpgatormpgator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with everyone else. We already have a LONG must play list and do not play list for our wedding. We are using Grant Hemmond, and they have welcomed our lists.

My sister did the ipod thing at her wedding, and I don't recommend it either. She had technical difficulties, and wedding guests were assisting with the music rather than enjoying the ceremony. Also, sometimes songs play at different levels of loudness so it can be annoying.

GL!

• edited December 2011
    That levels of loudness thing is a good point -- then people have to be on guard to adjust volume all night. 
  • edited December 2011
    Also a good point! Thank you, mpgator! I've heard a lot of good things about Grant Hemmond. You don't have answer if you don't feel comfortable, but approximately what is the price range for Grant Hemmond?

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
     KimberlyJames11, PM me next Friday and I'll tell you what they quote me! :) It does depend on day of week and time of year. We're getting married Feb 19, 2012 on a Sunday evening.
  • edited December 2011
    ellentravis, I definitely will! Thank you!

P.S. February 19th is my birthday!! How funny! 

Thanks again. 
  • edited December 2011
    Kimberly I am using GH as well. They are very reasonable and more than willing to work within your budget. When I first inquired with them they were too expensive but they offered to come down to my budget level without removing any of the things I needed. I am paying $795 for 5 hours and 2 set ups.

The reason I chose GH was not because of their positive feedback either. It was because of their negative. When a bride (who was obviously extremely high maintenance and obnoxious) posted on weddingwire that she had a problem witht hem they replied and refunded her most of her money and sincerely apologized even though she was obviously just being annoying. The bride then returned to WW and wrote a positive feedback about them. They have AMAZING customer service.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mrs. Cabral, 

Wow, they sound really good! I'll have to check them out. Yeah, they seem classy and not cheesy. It's the cheesiness that I'm really concerned about. That and budget. But when the time gets nearer, I'll have to check with them. I've only heard good things.

Thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards