Second Weddings
Options

Second WEDDING of first MARRIAGE - am I in the right place?

My husband and I are a military couple and we were married at a courthouse with no friends or family present.  We are having our real wedding and I thought that meant that was a second wedding.  It looks like this message board is for second marriages, which is not me.  Is anyone here having a second wedding of their first marriage? 

Re: Second WEDDING of first MARRIAGE - am I in the right place?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You already had your "real" wedding. You are married.

EDIT: Could you call it a wedding celebration? You are, I assume, doing this so you can celebrate your wedding with your friends and family that were missing. But, literally, you are married. You don't get a do-over. Call it something else.
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_second-wedding-of-first-marriage-am-right-place?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:538f96f0-3e9f-423d-a26f-af70a8e2b925Post:b9a2b3f0-b7cc-4c77-b2af-d801c36e1a20">Re: Second WEDDING of first MARRIAGE - am I in the right place?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You already had your "real" wedding. You are married. EDIT: Could you call it a wedding celebration? You are, I assume, doing this so you can celebrate your wedding with your friends and family that were missing. But, literally, you are married. <strong>You don't get a do-over. Call it something else.
    </strong>Posted by AmeliaAndSeth8890[/QUOTE]

If you call it a "second wedding" you will hear the above quite often.  A wedding celebration or at home reception is fine. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Vow renewal.
  • Options
    roaaoiferoaaoife member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *sits next to Merrin*  

As a former military spouse I understand getting JP'd first and having a ceremony later. Technically, you are married.  But vow renewals are common, and really, you can call it a wedding if you want. I doubt very much anyone will care except here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both for your service to our country, it is appreciated.

I hope that whatever you call it (I sit in the camp that you should call it something that reflects that you were legally and spiritually married already-- but are choosing to host an event to share the celebration with those you love) you have a wonderful, joyful event. 

A wedding celebration is a perfect wording that reflect honestly what you choose to do.  ~Donna
  • Options
    AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like 'wedding celebration' - sounds lovely. And sure - you are in the right place... there are several people here doing vow renewals, wedding celebrations, or finally tying the knot on a long-standing relationship.

No matter what it is, it's a reason to celebrate with your loved ones.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We also got married the first time @ the court house. Fortunely we had a few friends and family. We are doing a vow renewal, although its ended up being more of a love celebration...

• Options
    edited December 2011

It’s funny as I read past post about wedding celebration or vow renewal verses a wedding reception I always thought whats the big deal. Then I found out my out of state brother may not be able to legally marry us, at first I thought we could do a secret wedding and have him redo it then right away got sick to my stomach thinking what a fake and at that moment really got what very one has been saying glad to say he can get a one day permit and marry us I am so excited

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a Wedding Celebration sounds lovely. You deserve it! Thanks for your service to our country!
  • Options
    Mandilee_01Mandilee_01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also doing a seond wedding with my one and only marriage... same circumstances as you with the military and my friends and family were not at our "real wedding"... BUT I'm just calling it a wedding! There's no reason not to. I am doing the same exact things that I would have done if I had not gotten married at the courts. The only thing different is what the minister will say and not having to go thru the troubles of signing papers in the middle of my celebration  :)  Who cares what it is "technically" called... its a wedding!  
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These days celebrities and the wealthy have weddings for every year they are married!

I think it is wonderful that you and your DH want to have your "dream" wedding, and wish you the best in planning it!  One suggestion I have for the two of you:  write your own vows, perhaps promising new things to each other since you have been through so much as a couple. Thank him for me and my family - God Bless You both!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards