Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Pittsburgh Church Recommendations Please!

My fiance and I would like to have our wedding in or near downtown...  We're going to have a lot of out-of-town guests, most of whom have never been to the area before, so we'd like to keep it easy for them to get around.

I'm trying to get some information on possible chuches that we could be married in.  My family is Presbyterian, but their church is a little too far outside of the city I think...  My first thought was the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, which is right downtown.  However, I've discovered that they "not encourage weddings of non-members in their church."  If I lived in the area, I might consider joining, but this isn't really possible as we live in New Jersey... 

SO... Any suggestions you could provide for churches that would marry us would be greatly appreciated.  Another thing that may be important is that my fiance is Catholic.  ...While my family and I would prefer a Presbyterian church, I don't think it's absolutely necessary. 

Thank you so much! 

Re: Pittsburgh Church Recommendations Please!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not downtown, but there's the Old Stone Church in Monroeville. I've never been in it, but several people have mentioned it on here. It's more historical and not affiliated with one religion, so that may work well for you. HTH!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shadyside Presbyterian Church is very beautiful:

http://www.shadysidepres.org/

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Trinity Cathedral.  I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore, and they were happy to welcome us at their church. Let me know if you want any information. 
  • Options
    pugnpenguinpugnpenguin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shadyside Presby will not even let you look at the church if you're not a member (at least they didn't let us look.) You can try 3rd and Bellefield, which are both on 5th ave, in Shadyside and Oakland, respectively. If you go a little further out East Liberty and Eastminster sometimes let non-members have their weddings there.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_pittsburgh-church-recommendations-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:018f11aa-28ea-4fee-b526-b0670801d540Post:e96320d0-1946-4bdf-9f7a-64a4c0bc12b6">Re: Pittsburgh Church Recommendations Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Shadyside Presby will not even let you look at the church if you're not a member</strong> (at least they didn't let us look.) You can try 3rd and Bellefield, which are both on 5th ave, in Shadyside and Oakland, respectively. If you go a little further out East Liberty and Eastminster sometimes let non-members have their weddings there.
    Posted by pugnpenguin[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had no idea!  Thanks for updating.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  Thank you for all of the helpful information.  That Old Stone Church looks lovely...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards