Iowa-Des Moines

Photographer is moving out of state!

Hi all! So I just found out our wedding photographer (Allison Marie Photography), who we have already booked and paid a deposit to, is moving out of the state next month, to Kansas City!! She still plans to photograph all the weddings she has already booked here in Des Moines and not charge any extra fee for travel or hotel costs. At first I was fine with it - I mean, it's not like you have to see your photographer a lot and we have a contract and she's saying she still 100% plans to do all the weddings she has booked. So then I tell my fiance and he's a little worried. He's worried that she's going to do a few weddings here and realize with all the gas costs and hotel costs, that it's getting too expensive to continue to do her booked weddings here in Des Moines, and that she might just quit.
I personally think she wouldn't do that, because - I don't know if any one else is using her, or met her/know her - but I honestly feel like Allison is a good person and really loves her job so I don't think she's going to back out at the last minute. And I tried to point out that ANY photographer could do that, a photographer here in Des Moines could call us up in June and tell us they are no longer doing photography and can't do our wedding in September. Even though we have contracts, something could still go wrong with anyone.
So anyway, what does everyone think of this? Is anyone else using this photographer and worried about this?
TIA (And sorry for the long post!) 

Re: Photographer is moving out of state!

• ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks that she is moving out of state.  But honestly, I would go with your gut.  If you feel like she will honor your contract, I wouldn't start a frantic search for a new photographer.  

You're absolutely right that any photographer, even a local one, could up and quit...then leave you hanging for your wedding day.  

Perhaps you & your fiance could talk to your photographer and explain (kindly & honestly) all the concerns you have.  Perhaps after he speaks with her as well he might feel better.

You do have a contract with her, so at the very least, if she didn't come through...you are entitled to your money back, or whatever your contract says. 

If your fiance still doesn't feel comfortable, you might consider finding another photographer, explaining the situation and see if he/she would be willing to take a deposit to hold the date for you.  While not all photographers would be thrilled with the idea of you "maybe" using their services...you never know and might find someone who is very understanding.  And although you would be out a deposit, you would have additional peace of mind. 

I think you'll be fine with your photographer.  The fact that she's been honest with you and open about her situation and has already said that she will honor your contract, says a lot about her character & professionalism.  And who knows, she might not have booked that many weddings here in DSM...so she may not be traveling as much as your fiance thinks. 

Another thought I just had was maybe offering to pay say...an extra $100 for gas and travel expenses.  I know the thought of spending even more money is probably the last thing on your mind.....it was just a thought. 

Sorry for the long rambling reply.  Hope it helps!  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Zippy88kZippy88k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know Allison (I went to high school with her), so I know her as a person. And she won't do that. Her family is still in Indianola, so maybe she'll stay with them to cut costs, or she has a lot of friends in the area, but there is no doubt in my mind that she will honor all of her appointments.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know her and have never used her, but I agree with PP.  Go with your gut.  If she plans to continue her photography business in KC, she will likely do her best to keep her clients in DSM happy...because word of mouth spreads very quickly.

And, if she has family & friends in the area, I'd imagine she'd be looking forward to coming back and visiting!
  • edited December 2011
    What a bummer!  But, I agree with others I bet she will honor her commitment and you don't need to worry one bit.  Like ToBeMrs said maybe just offer her a gas card or something comet this summer just to solidify that she will be there.  Good luck!! 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts ladies! I do honestly think she's not going to ditch us, however, I wasn't sure what to do to help my fiance feel like everything is going to be ok. We shall see!
  • kdyer09kdyer09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also know Allison (we were in the same grade in high school) and read about her move on her blog.  I am 100% confident she will uphold everything you've planned for your wedding.  Growing up with her, I can tell you she's one of the most dedicated, hardworking and trusted people I've ever met.  She'll do great!  And yes, she has plenty of reasons to come back to Indianola for family and friends, so coming back for your wedding will be easy!  I hope this helps!
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think your FI is right to question it, but you have a contract and the deposit is paid. I'm sure she'll be a smart business woman, as well as a good person in general and come!!

Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks again for all the advice ladies! We talked about it and we're just going to ride it out. I do feel like everything is going to be fine, it just threw us for a loop! But I hope if this is our biggest hiccup in the wedding planning, then we're doing well. Now on to more planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards