Favors
Options

why no names or date

I have seen a lot of comment on favors board about not putting name or date on favors.

I am curious why so many feel this way.

I honestly thought that was the point of a favor ( a way for a guest to remember your wedding)

let me know what yall think....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: why no names or date

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's edible, then personalization is fine.  If it's something that can be used again like a wine stopper or wine glasses, it's not ok.  Most people aren't going to use something that has somebody else's names or wedding date on them.  Brides are reminded a lot that this day may mean the world to you, but to your guests, it's just another day.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on what the favor is.  If it's something people would put out in their homes, then no because not everyone wants to commemorate your day.  For something like a candle it's okay, but for one wine glass with your date on it, well no one really wants that in their cabinet. 

There are plenty of things it's okay to put your date on, like food favors or more useful favors that it doesn't really matter what they say.  
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personalizations seem so expensive.  I also agree it depends on the favor... If the personalization is on an edible, and you don't care, then it'll get thrown away.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that personalization is a bit AW...  Here, take this gift which has our wedding date and names and remember OUR wedding DAY FOREVER....  I want my guest to have something they can use and enjoy, not something that will always remind them of my wedding. 
  • Options
    jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel like unless its my future child's or grandchild's wedding, I don't want crap with other people's name and date on it. My parents went to a wedding last year for my dad's 2nd cousins son (who he hasnt seen in years). The favor was a personalized beach towel. None of us are really going to want to lay out on the beach sitting on a towel with someone elses name emblazoned on it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually favours are a way of thanking your guests for coming, not a way of helping them remember your wedding day.  Their pictures and memories will let them do that.  If you want your guests to actually use your favour then you need to make it something they will use.  Most people won't use something with someone else's name and wedding date plastered all over it.  We're trying to keep you from wasting your money.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my idea on favors is it's there to thank the guests for coming, if it's an edible or consumable favor, (cookie, chapstick) then personalized is fine, but honestly if it's ome peice of chotchka, your wedding date is not so important to me that I'd show it off in my house .
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on what the favor is. We did M&M's in a cute little plastic wine goblet container which was tied with ribbon and had a favor tag. On the favor tag, we typed Thank You! and then our names and wedding date. Of course everyone ate the candy and threw everything else away.

But like pp said, if the favor is more of a keepsake thing, then no, your guests aren't going to want something laying around their house with your name and wedding date all over it.
  • Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont like personalization if it is something that is supposed to be placed out on display in my house. beyond that i dont mind. wine glasses wouldnt bother me as I would use it when i am sipping on wine and doing homework or scrapbooking. things like flash drives, pen/pencils, matches, playing cards etc are fine too. coffee cups. things where it doesnt really make a big difference what is on them. someone once posted asking about christmas ornaments. this wouldnt bother me either if i could have the personalization toward the tree and the other side people saw was decorative. however most people dont feel the same way and a lot of your favors will get left behind. edible or practical seems to be the way to go
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a BM in a wedding where the bride gave the wedding party engraved champagne glasses for the champagne toast.  It had both of their names and the date.  I still use it and when I look at their names, I remember their wedding and that I was honored to be a part of it. 

As far as guests, though, I go with everyone else.  If it's something like a candle, etc., people won't display it in their house if it has your name and date on it.  BUT I've been to weddings with koozies that have been personalized, and people use those because they don't care what is on their koozie!

First Date: March 10, 2007
    Engaged: August 21, 2010
    Wedding: June 4, 2011
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!  I was planning to do ceramic ice cream bowls for our favor (FI loves ice cream and we're doing a sundae bar at our July wedding), but I couldn't find any that let you personalize them.  I guess I just assumed I was supposed to personalize them, because that's what I've seen.  After reading this I'm just going to put a tag that has our names and date.  Thanks, Ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards