Hawaii

Another photography question

Based on my latest posts you can tell what I am working on tonight ;)

I think I have narrowed potential photographers down to 3...now I'm starting to look at what kind of package I should book.

We are having our ceremony and then going to the Old Lahaina Luau for our reception. The time of our ceremony is dependant on where we decide to have it so that we give people enough time to travel from ceremony site to the luau. I was thinking of doing a first-look shoot and then a few group pictures before the ceremony, having the photographer for the ceremony, and then wanted to do some photos before the luau too because I love the lighting at that time of day. I don't think I need the photographer at the luau but am stuck on how long I should book them for earlier in the day?!

Anyone have any advice on how long they had a photographer around? How long you are booking yours for? anything? :D
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Another photography question

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I can really help, as we're bring our photographers with us, so have them for parts of 2 days.  Here's the advice we got:  Look at what type of photos you want.  Do you want lots of you two getting ready, or not so important.  Do you want pictures of everyone at the reception after??  Put your time with them based on which photos you want most.  One wedding I was in did lots of wedding party photos on the way to the ceremony and then grouped us together after, so we were finished about a half hour early.  

• breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is going to be with us all day since we're bringing her from the mainland. But here's our timeline and she will be around the whole time:

2:30 Hair and Makeup for me & my mom
    (her doing getting ready photos in my room, her husband doing getting ready photos with Steve)
    4:15 First look photos at the hotel
    (Steve and I are driving together to the ceremony site so there will be no first look at the ceremony as I walk down the "aisle")
    5:00 Ceremony start
    5:15-5:30 Ceremony end (it's a 10 minute ceremony but I'm accounting for island time here and a late start)
    6:30 sunset, so portraits until then

That's 4 hours of shooting time for getting ready through the ceremony and an hour of shooting at the end of the ceremony for formals & couples portraits.

We're going to Sarentos for dinner afterwards and the photographer is coming and we're feeding her. She said she'll take shots if anyone speaks or anything but I told her I was more concerned about her relaxing and eating at this point.
  • edited December 2011
    We started hair and makeup at 10am and they shot until we left the reception at 10pm. They also showed up earlier in the morning to shoot prep shots of the venue (chair ties, etc). I think they ended up shooting about 14 hours that day, but we knew we wanted every minute captured and negotiated that upfront. I would plan for approximately: 2-3 hours before the start of ceremony for prep, first look, depending on how many people are getting ready. I would add in some buffer too, in case something runs slow. You don't want this to cut into the rest of the day. Transportation time (double or triple the driving time if your ceremony is not in the same location as prep). 1 hour ceremony time - venue layout, detail shots, guests, actual ceremony, and some immediate post-ceremony group shots (we did one with our entire party) Transportation time again to OLL. Keep in mind you may pay an additional travel fee for this, too.  Plus 30 minutes or so for sunset portraits.  When you talk to photographers most have. Basic 4 or 6 hour package, plus the option to add on hours on the day of for an hourly rate. I would definitey want that flexibility. I would also ask whether they have any travel costs, and if you would be paying double for the OLL piece.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards