Offbeat Weddings
Options

The "OH" reaction

Neither me nor my fiance are much into receptions - it's my second wedding, I've done the reception bit against myself, I didn't enjoy it. So - it's just a celebration of our love. The ceremony is quite late (7pm) and we're having just dinner and then drinks, no dancing, no cake cutting (our "cake" is simply tiramisu which we both love). Some of my fiance's friends had the big dry "oh" reaction to the news that no, no iPod reception is planned, no dancing at all - we can go to a club if we fancy to, but as things stand, neither of us is up for it.
What "ohs" did you have, if any?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The "OH" reaction

• Options
    I got the "Oh" recation from most of FI family when we told them we would not be getting married in their curch. They got over it though and actually love the venue we chose.
  • Options

I got a lot of 'OH' reactions already from FI's family, who is pretty religious...
    1) Not married in a church
    2) My dress has black and backless
    3) My gay Man of Honour
    and the list just goes on lol

• Options
    mostly that were not getting married in a church
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That we are not getting married in a church 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I think I see a theme here... ;) So - chrch wins so far.

I can't decide if I rather had the "ohs" regarding the place of ceremony (we're getting married in Gibraltar, on the hotel's terrace - /> we live in UK + it's SO much cheaper and Gib's British anyway), or the silent drama of no typical reception.

Oh! Sorry, there was another "oh" ;) - time of the ceremony!

...and we didn't tell the guests there's no favors, so we might have few "ohs" on the day. Can't wait, guys, can't wait.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is so funny to me because it seems that all I've attended in the past few years are off-beat weddings! So when FI and I wanted to go all out for our second wedding and my parents gave me the "oh's" it really hurt! At least none of my good friends did though! We have support from them and they are being wonderful! Then again, my Matron of Honor did the same thing as you...just a big 'ol lunch with ipod music, no dancing then we all went out to a bar to watch MMA fights that evening! lol It was awesome! 
  • Options

Romamor4, don't get me started on the MoH... She's FI's twin sister and a good friend of mine, but as soon as I asked her to be the MoH/witness, she went into Mohzilla mode... Now I had the "ohs", or rather "nonononononos" and "whats"- she insists on trying my wedding dress on (NO!), matching her dress with mine (she even looked at simple wedding gowns - my dress is 50's style) and she's planning my hen do (I never had one although I've been married previously) for herself really. Not to mention that she's WAY too happy that she's the only one standing next to me (we don't have bridesmaids, ushers etc).

*sigh*

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My "Oh" was to the no flowers.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_the-oh-reaction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:0deb2692-f1aa-4faf-853f-61b541e59a20Post:563e700a-9749-4b7f-b0f7-64591543240b">Re: The "OH" reaction</a>:
    [QUOTE]Romamor4, don't get me started on the MoH... She's FI's twin sister and a good friend of mine, but as soon as I asked her to be the MoH/witness, she went into Mohzilla mode... Now I had the "ohs", or rather "nonononononos" and "whats"- she insists on trying my wedding dress on (NO!), matching her dress with mine (she even looked at simple wedding gowns - my dress is 50's style) and she's planning my hen do (I never had one although I've been married previously) for herself really. Not to mention that she's WAY too happy that she's the only one standing next to me (we don't have bridesmaids, ushers etc). *sigh*
    Posted by Satchkat[/QUOTE]

<div>Ouch! That's really weird!!! Why on earth would she do that?!</div>
  • Options
    Romamor4 -> because she's full of crap. Any shrink would have a field day with her. She says she NEVER wants to get married, but looking at how she is about our wedding - both me and FI think she's thinking about it like it's her day. She said she is not looking for a boyfriend - but she wouldn't stop seeing guys all the time and trying to fast-track to relationship stage. Ah, seriously...

dsquared28 - /> Eh? Does your FMIL think that you're going to be someone different for the wedding...? On the other hand, are you sure you want to do that the night before? Maybe 2 would be safer in case it doesn't turn uot as expected?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I get an "OH" with just about everything I reveal and it really makes me prefer to hide things.  I am tired of getting excited about an idea and sharing it and getting the "OH" from my mom or his.  I grew up on "meat & potatoes meals" and have never enjoyed them, so we're having lasagna (my fav) and we're NOT Italian.  This I have managed to keep hidden because I just don't want to hear comments and the dreaded "Oh".

We are not getting married in a church (but people that know me would be crazy to think we would be) so that wasn't a big deal.  Plus, my sis forged that path for me with her ceremony in the reception hall.  The size was a major "OH" as we are keeping it close to 100 and my mom was mad about all these relatives not getting invited.  I prefer my wedding to be made up of people that would come visit me and actually care if I broke my leg (which these relatives are so far removed, they would not) and I use that anytime someone complains about not inviting "so & so."  I also continually remind them I have about 20 running friends/buddies and 20 skydiving buddies, and a large group of co-workers (etc) I would love to invite who know more about me than most, but  that I am not because we are KEEPING IT SMALL!

There was disappointment when I initially wanted a patterned dress and/or a short dress (however I am actually getting a long white bridesmaid dress now).  I wanted Farmer's Market flowers which seemed to disappoint, but changed that only because of the time it would eat up that day (I bought some vibrant fake flowers).  My sis & I are baking my cake which is VERY annoying to hear, "oh" followed by all the transportation questions... as if we didn't think about that!  We are not having a DJ, but playing off a computer - try explaining that.  I counter that by asking what is the worst that could happen?  It stops playing?!  Uh, that's not going to ruin my day.  I honestly could care less if there was no dancing and just visiting/catching up among guests.  And I think FI's parents hate the rehearsal dinner idea we have.  They kept asking what we wanted and so we told them Rocky Rococo pizza, one of my faves (we're rehearsing in a park and want an early evening). 

What it boils down to is that both my parents & FI's parents still have "tradition" stuck in their heads and feel as if our wedding will reflect (poorly) on them.  They are not footing the bill & we are quite independent and clearly speak our minds.  Just wait until they get to eat their lasagna off of paper plates...hahaha... I can't wait.Tongue Out
  • Options

Rungirl12 - your wedding sounds great, right up my street! Looks like you're not being given much support from the family... Luckily, you sound like a strong person who knows what she wants, and since you pay for everything together - tell the moaners to stick it up their bonbons or ask them if they'd like to contribute towards the wedding and pay for the things you don't need or want - that normally helps to shut them up!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've had 'OH" reactions from everyone about everything.  But mostly my FH's mom.  OH to the venue.  OH to the location.  OH to the amount of money we are spending which she is not contributing to and constantly reminds us of that and the fact that we are both still struggling to pay bills.  OH to NOT LETTING HER WEAR A WHITE DRESS... wth?  OH to the fact I have gotten my dress already... i can go on and on.  But I've gotten OH's from everyone all over the place and apparently, I am a bridezilla to everyone because I tell them if they don't like our plans... pay for our wedding.  If not, hush it, show up, and have a ball. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards