Catholic Weddings

NFP Post-Partum

I was reading TCOYF and they don't *really* cover NFP post-partum.  There was only a few pages on it.

Has anyone taken the post-partum class offered by CCL?  My CCL membership has lapsed, but if the class is worth it, I'd be willing to sign up again.

Does anyone know (Ring_Pop???) if post-partum is significantly different than a "normal" cycle to where a class would be necessary?
---------
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: NFP Post-Partum

• caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The answer to your last question is basically that it depends on whether you will be breastfeeding and if so, to what extent (exclusively vs. mixed) etc. This will affect your return to fertility. Bf'ing often, but not always, keeps a woman from cycling at all, and if she does they can be weird/long/etc. If you formula feed they will probably come back faster, but can still take awhile to "straighten out"

Besides the class CCL also has a post partum book which is reasonably priced, I think maybe $20 or so; it seemed like it would probably be sufficient if you already are confident with the method.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard that post-partum can be really tricky, because cycles don't regulate for awhile and the body takes awhile to "get fertility back." Plus, I've heard that there is generally more mucous than normal.

I've not gone through it, but I wouldn't want to take risks. I would look into the class/book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-post-partum?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8a00615e-e182-4ed4-893b-faea6cf5b4dfPost:e1ce93c9-6568-43d5-998d-73c4f970c15c">NFP Post-Partum</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was reading TCOYF and they don't *really* cover NFP post-partum.  There was only a few pages on it. Has anyone taken the post-partum class offered by CCL?  My CCL membership has lapsed, but if the class is worth it, I'd be willing to sign up again. Does anyone know (Ring_Pop???) if post-partum is significantly different than a "normal" cycle to where a class would be necessary?
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

Yes!!! It is VERY different and you should definitely take the CCL class. We just did a few weeks ago. We're talking 60 day "cycles" and "mucus patches" that will drive you insane if you don't have the background. Finding a teacher might be tricky, but a little emailing around led to someone pretty quickly for me.

The postpartum period is VERY confusing without guidance...but the class does a good job of breaking it down very well. They even have different sections on how breastfeeding vs. pumping vs. forumula feeding will likely affect the return of your fertility.

The teacher recommended taking it in your 3rd trimester or shortly after the baby is born.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks.  I'll order the book in a week or so. It's $16 on amazon.  There wasn't any classes in the area that I could take.

I work with the guy who taught the regular NFP class.  Maybe I'll ask him for his wife's contact info.  I know she used NFP post-partum for her 3 kids.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked this question when I was pregnant and everyone told me the same thing, take a course. I'll admit I just didn't have the time to look into it. Won't even get into how much we've (not) had sex since the baby was born. Undecided
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ive also heard it gets really screwy if you do half BF and half formula or pump vs. straight breast.

• edited December 2011
    ^^^Yeah, the window your fertility can return in is really uncertain in that situation. Unfortunately, that will be us!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards