Virginia

VA winery venues

I am newly engaged (!!) and hoping to find a winery in Central VA (Cville area) or Roanoke that can accomodate at ~150 guests for both ceremony and reception and is available on a particular weekend in 2013 (we have very tight schedules). I have a few in mind that I have been tasting at in the past but any advice on wineries you have checked out, including pricing, special stipulations (ie in-house catering, etc) would be helpful! Thanks!

Re: VA winery venues

• We're getting married at King Family VIneyards.   It's a really beautiful location in Crozet with panoramic views of the Blue Ridge, and a really nice reception hall.  You can do your ceremony inside or outside (lots of weather back-ups if you do the outdoor ceremony route).    You do NOT have to use an in-house caterer, but if it's someone new that hasn't catered there before the caterer will have to set up a meeting with KFV to go over the use of the kitchen (which I think they would want to do anyway).   Also, pretty much every vendor I talked to had done tons of weddings at KFV and know exactly how everything works there.

We also looked at Barboursville Vineyard.  Also nice, but they have a weird-shaped room that might be a little small for 150.    We looked at Veritas, and while it was really pretty, the reception room was completely draped in white chiffon, floor-to-ceiling....very pretty...but very much not our style.   

If you're open to other venues, you might check out Ash Lawn Highland...they have a bunch of reception venue options, including a new "barn" thing that looks pretty cool.  It's less expensive than the vineyard options we looked at, but wouldn't have worked for some of our guests with minor mobility issues.
    DSC_9275
  • Check out CrossKeys Vineyards www.crosskeysvineyards.com. It's about 2 hours from Roanoke (my sisters live there, as well as the lady I hired to do our hair/makeup). Beautiful facility! Is only just over 3 years old. Can definately hold 150...We are very excited as we are doing our ceremony, cocktail hour and reception here this coming June. Prices are very reasonable, the caterer is FABULOUS as she works with any budget and the guest Manager Rebecca is wonderful to work with. Also you are able to get your own ABC license to bring in your own beer/liquor, you use their wine. Let me know if you have any questions :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • if you aren't set on the vineyard idea check out http://www.hermitagehillfarm.com
    They are an upscale horse farm with a vineyard like setting- nice wood work and  a beautiful setting. Plus you won't have to buy a bunch of wine you might not be into...:)
  • Depending on what time of year you chose, Keswick Vineyards was very nice. It was an outdoor tent reception, but very well done. They have many places for photo ops and a beautiful winery setting. They include all of the tables and chairs as well for a very fair price. The woman who is in charge also runs Barbed Wire, so she was very competent. A few years ago they seemed to have issues with noise, but it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

I also picked King Family for the venue, I was blown away by the views and the hall. It has everything that I wanted, panoramic views, inside and outside setting, the decor is rustic without feeling campy, and a huge fireplace, and firepit outside.  I  felt like the price is high, but fair for what you get. We opted for a Friday to cut back the costs.

Another place I've heard is absolutely amazing is Pippin Hill Vineyards. They provide pretty much everything to avoid the hassle. Linens, plates, alcohol, food, chairs, tables, etc. It's brand new, and even though I haven't seen it in person the pictures look amazing.
    Good Luck, Bride!
  • Thanks for all the comments! We are strongly considering Veritas and Barboursville, as I really liked visiting both of them when we were at UVA, but it's nice to hear about some other options! King Family I know is pretty and you all made a great choice I'm sure, but I just had a friend get married there so I have ruled that out.

I had looked at Keswick and Pippin Hill but decided they seemed a little pricey, as they raised their rates significantly for 2013.  I'll have to look into some of the others more though!
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    The summer before we got engaged, we went to a different vineyard every Sunday afternoon for a tasting.  We knew KFV from polo and Veritas from other weddings, so we focused on ones that were new to us.

Honestly, the Monticello Wine Trail website has a far more comprehensive list of vineyars than this thread does.  Use that and research the wedding info on each vineyard's website.  Most will handle 150 people without a problem.

One heads up: Veritas' fees and per person costs DID NOT include staffing charges when we looke at them.  They gave us a real bill from a 150 person wedding and just the food/wine/staffing bill was $22-24K.

Veritas is supposedly getting rid of the white draping.  Ask them about it!

We're getting married at Pippin Hill.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards