Ohio-Columbus

HELP venue sug. for "relaxed"/classy reception

Soon to-be hubby and I are planning a "private" family only/our close friends ceremony @ a natural santuary in the Hocking Hills (sat. Aug, 27, 2011), HOPEFULLY followed by a same-day cocktail pary reception back in Columbus.

So far the only place that has caught my interest is North Bank Park, but I know its SO popular and my moment of judgement if I can reserve it is this Friday morning @ 8am, so can anyone pass information about venues like NBP?

Re: HELP venue sug. for "relaxed"/classy reception

• edited December 2011
    I am having my ceremony at the north bank pavilion.  What kind of questions do you have?
    First of all it is very popular  so book as soon as you can. 
    Second it is pricey... I am only doing my ceremony there which means i really only needed to reserve the place for two hours. Well there is a 6 hour min.  You have to pay for 6 hours even if your using it for 1 hour.  It is $200 an hour which means the lowers youll pay is $1200, which is due at the time you reserve the place. 
    For that price you get about 20 parking spots, chairs and tables for your guest and of course indoor and outdoor use of the pavilion. 
    Its a beautiful place and I booked it because i think its worth it. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck
  • summer4077summer4077 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony and reception at North Bank in less than a month.  As pp said, it's $200/hour.  I don't really think that's unreasonable compared to other venues of the same quality in the city--many are much more.  The 6 hour minimum would give you just the right amount of time to decorate (although NBP is so gorgeous you don't really need much!), have the cocktail party, and tear down.  You get 22 meter parking spaces for free and there are several lots and garages around the area.  I was quoted $4/spot at the surface lot right across the street.  If you have more than 100 guests they require you to have a tent set up, so figure that into costs if you need one. 

You must also use one of their approved contracted caterers if you want alcohol.  They have a list of about 20 or so ranging all price points, and many of them will let you buy your own alcohol if you use them for catering.  The park does not allow for a cash bar or drink tickets, so if you want alcohol plan on footing the bill. 

Park staff are there some Wednesdays from 4-6 for an open house.  If you are thinking of NBP you should consider going because the glass pavilion is usually closed to the public unless a special event is going on.  Plus, the staff are extremely knowledgeable and friendly and can provide you with all kinds of info and ideas.  This is a gorgeous venue and a steal for the location--I highly recommend it!

Congratulations and happy venue hunting!!   
  • skuhmanskuhman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice.... How was your process of booking NBP? I already knew about the $ being due when you book it but did you have to fight for it? I am operating under the assumption that you are only able to book it one year out and I am planning on booking tomm. morning for next years Aug.27. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Booking it was extremely easy for me.  I wasn't picky about which weekend day it was so I think that helped.  I just called the reservation line (645-3337) and asked what the availability was for any Friday-Sunday in September and October.  I did this in January 2010 and had 2 different dates to choose from in September 2010.  We're having our ceremony and reception on a Friday evening, but that's fine with us.  Saturdays are obviously more competitive but I think if you book it a year out you should have a decent selection.  In the past they had a first come first serve--whoever showed up at the office first a year out from the wedding date got the reservation.  They then switched to a lottery system--they'd take all requests for a given day and then draw a "winner" on the day a year before the wedding date.  Now I think it's back to first come first served which I think is more fair.  I would call first and then be prepared to go to the office that day or the next to book it to ensure you get your date. 

As far as costs, it's $200/hour for a minimum of 6 hours.  There's also a $150 liquor fee if you plan on having alcohol there, so the grand total that you need to pay when you book it is $1350.  You can also add extra hours later on.  We are going to have it for 9 hours but I added the extra 3 several months later to help with budgeting.

I know I've said it, but the staff has all been very informative and friendly.  Downtown venues can be extremely pricey and I've heard stories about rude staff at other venues (including a horror story about a Franklin Park coordinator at a wedding a couple of weekends ago), so accomodating staff members are always a huge plus for me.  I know I'm biased, but I really think it's a very reasonable price for such a gorgeous location.

Sorry for the long post...just know how confusing venue selection can be!  (And I'm wordy lol)
  • cml214cml214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi guys! I'm brand new here, just booked North Bank Pavilion for my wedding reception in August 6, 2011 - we had to book it exactly 1 year in advance since we wanted a Saturday (it might be less competitive to do it on a Friday or Sunday though) so my fiancee went on August 6th this year to book it. They still do the lottery system, with whomever is in the office right when they open at 8 am, so we expected it to take several weeks of trying before we got it - but on that morning it was my fiancee and another guy, and we got lucky that they drew our number! The minimum payment you can put down on the day you get it is $1200 for the 6 hours required....you can pay all the other fees later (the $150 for bartending, extra hours, etc.) I agree that it's such a gorgeous venue, and since you can pick your caterer and buy your own alcohol, it is going to be WAY cheaper than anywhere else downtown. Summer4077 and amalia0525, did either of you rent tents for your days, and have any suggestions there? I need to start looking, but am wondering how much of an extra cost that is going to be in addition to the $1200 and fees???
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting to know, cml214!  I had wondered if the lottery system was still in effect.  I thought it wasn't because I was able to just pick my date, but that could have been since they were still available in January.  I think I had a bit of luck on my side, even w/ a Friday.  NBP books up super fast!

We're having just under 100 people so we're not going to need a tent.  However, I have an email from a knottie who had her reception there earlier this year that I can copy/paste the tent info to you if you don't mind giving me your email address.  I have other stuff, too, like parking quotes and and open house dates (although you might not need those).
  • cml214cml214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, that would be amazing, I would love any and all details you have on North Bank, since I'm just starting and already feeling a little overwhelmed! : ) My email is: clabenne@gmail.com. Appreciate it! skuhman, you're going to have to let us know if you went to book it this morning and if you got it!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, emailed you all the info I have.  My wedding is in 2 weeks so I'll also let you know any tips or tricks I learn afterwards!  Believe me, I remember being overwhelmed...it will get better!!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards