North Carolina-Outer Banks

Clowns

So last night my FMIL calls me and tells me she has decided that her and her husband plan to bring their Clown Costumes to our wedding so that they can "entertain the kids". They regulary dress in their clown garb and visit children in the hospital, etc. Don't get be wrong, I think it's really nice that they give back this way. But....it's my wedding! And I'm also afraid of clowns, like really seriously afraid. And so is my flower girl. I've seen them in their costumes once, they did a skit at their church. Seriously. Somehow I guess clowns were involved in the birth of Jesus. I'm still trying to sort that one out....

What do I do with this crazy woman??? I cannot, I repeat cannot have clowns at my wedding!
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Clowns

• edited December 2011
    Well, it looks like FI will be discussing clowns and centerpieces with FMIL.  I think he now has our sympathy. 

I just have no idea what else to say.

Wedding - /> Clowns = NO

Wow! ! !
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH NO Sarah!  It sounds like your FI needs to intercept this ASAP! 

So this is how I handled the FMIL and FFIL- they are giving us some money for the wedding, which was unexpected and appreciated.  My FI is one of two boys, so they will never have a daughter to plan a wedding for.   In the beginning, they would call/email several times a day with their thoughts and ideas.  I want them to feel a part of the day to an extent, however still keep in mind it is our day. 

We are a bit different in our planning, we aren't huge on tradition, so no cake, no church wedding, etc.  We also wanted a destination wedding.  This is different than what they would want.  In the beginning, they would share their opinions often, it came to a point one day when they were really stressing me out, his aunt, mother and grandmother all called on the same afternoon to share their ideas/feedback. I called my FI totally stressed, it was the first time I wanted to cry I was so stressed in the process which I totally didn't want.

My FI called his mom, nicely explained it was our day.  While we appreciate the assistance and want them to be excited and a part of the day, it was our day in the end and we would be making the decisions.  From that day on, things have been much better.  We aren't trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but it is important to us to make this our day without regrets. 

Sorry for the rambling here, just basically saying I know where you are coming from!  It may work out that your FI has a conversation with his mom.  But I know every family is different, so it may not work.  Worth a shot and may give you some piece of mind. 

Keep us posted!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Awwww Sarah! :(

I'm with you on this one....how do clowns have anything to do with your wedding?  I think it's super cute of her to want to do this for the kids but come on, this is your wedding day and not the most appropriate setting for clowns.

What did you say to her about this?  Does she know that you are afraid of clowns?  A lot of people are....hell, they even freak me out a bit!

• llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dude. 

Yeah, sorry that's all I've got.
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_clowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:b1af6627-f3fa-4d92-af5d-1d5992760fbePost:19ffee17-4200-4138-ba7e-263a98636307">Re: Clowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awwww Sarah! :( I'm with you on this one....how do clowns have anything to do with your wedding?  I think it's super cute of her to want to do this for the kids but come on, this is your wedding day and not the most appropriate setting for clowns.<strong> What did you say to her about this?  Does she know that you are afraid of clowns? </strong> A lot of people are....hell, they even freak me out a bit!
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

I completely wimped out and said, "Oh. Wow. Okay". That was all I could muster. Then I hung up and cried because this crazy woman is turning my wedding into a circus! Literally! Yes, she knows I am afraid of clowns.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you must talk to FI asap and have him intercept all of this. 

It his place to speak up on this one....not you my dear.  This could really be easier than you think b/c A LOT of people don't like clowns and he could simply say that you guys are concerned that some of your guests could get stressed and over-worked, or something along those lines.

HUGS :)

• llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I've been thinking about it after being rendered speechless for my first post.  Is there any way she was joking?  Like just trying to give you a hard time and you hung up too fast for her to tell you?

• edited December 2011
    I think Trish has a no clown rule at The Pearl. =)
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_clowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:b1af6627-f3fa-4d92-af5d-1d5992760fbePost:83edef0b-c4d1-4cdf-bbab-886d11308c2b">Re: Clowns</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think Trish has a no clown rule at The Pearl. =)
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

YESSSS....she does in fact have a "no clown rule"  Nice one Teach :)

• HStaffordHStafford member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.... is she for real or are you just making this up for our enjoyment??  That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of!  Does she know that it is a WEDDING, not a CIRCUS!?!

Everyone else above has a lot better advice than I do... I have no idea what I would say, I think I would have honestly just started laughing, thinking that she was joking.

When it comes down to it though, it is YOUR day!  All that matters is that it is perfect for you and your FI... not her.  If she is worried about kids being entertained, my FMIL bought the kids bubble guns and a couple of other things... plus kids love to dance... so its not like they will be bored.  Maybe suggest her doing something else (buying toys, etc) that doesnt involve face paint, big shoes and a nose that honks??? Wow....
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stafford & all,
    I SWEAR to you this is true! I can't make this sh** up people! I wish it wasn't, I really wish it wasn't....
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many kids are coming and how old are they? 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Probably close to 10 kids. They are all young- under 10. A few toddlers and a few babies.
  • edited December 2011
    and I thought I had a crazy family!!!!
    Be as nice as you can when you do tell her your feeling but someone needs to talk to her asap!!! wow
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG - I can't believe it!  Poor girl!  I really dislike clowns also and would freak if someone had tried to be a clown at my wedding!  P.S. Doesn't she just want to wear a pretty dress/ outfit as mother of the groom? :) Oy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards