New York

Dibbles Inn- Negative Review

When Josh and I were first engaged (almost 2 yrs ago) we booked Dibbles Inn in Vernon, NY as our reception hall. I was so excited that it fit into my small budget and it was pretty and had a shuttle to the nearest hotel that I overlooked some stuff and ended up reconsidering.

The owner has a minimum person per room rule. I dont know if this is common but everyone I asked after has said no and she wasnt willing to work with me. The room I wanted held 175-220 people. If your guest list slipped under 175, you had to pay for 175 people b/c thats the minumum. Her next smallest room was 150-160 people. Same deal. My guest list was 185ish and I asked her if she would rethink her rule if my guestlist went under the 175. No chance. So now I had to decide, do I push hard for more people that I couldnt care less about them coming and chace that everyone shows, or chance that it slips under 175 and pay for invisible people. OR do I cut my guestlist and hope it fits nicely between 150-160? F That!

Then, I made an appt with her to come in, look at both rooms, discuss options etc. I was there 5 min when another couple walked in and she immediately left my side without a word and after 10 min I chose to leave and cancel my contract with her.

So, knowing that she had a "no refund" policy and was a biotch and not willing to budge an inch, I wrote her some sweet bogus email about needing to go elsewhere and asked that if she could find a replacement for the room that I get at least half my deposit back. Keep in mind this happened in July, so almost a yr before my date).

Well, I got a phone call yesterday from this woman asking to make a final appt before my big day. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Well she left a voicemail so I emailed her back explaining the real reason I canceled and telling her I would be letting you guys know about the way she runs her business and treats her customers and told her never to contact me again.

Good Grief!

Just an FYI for those still planning :)

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Dibbles Inn- Negative Review

• sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  Good thing you went somewhere else!  Hopefully, this will help out some brides out there.
    Anniversary
  • rsfan23rsfan23 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They were our second choice for venues.  I had no idea the owner was like that. When we went to look at it, she just showed us around and then asked if we were interested. We ended up choosing the Beeches because it was prettier and people could stay right there.

Good advice though!

Thanks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with rsfan23...it was also our second choice...for the simple fact that guests could stay at the Beeches.  I am so glad that you posted this for others to prevent them from running into the same thing though!  With the problems I went through with my original bridal shop I know just how you feel!!!
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I looked at their website online and thought it seemed pretty nice. But F that haha I'm staying away.
  • edited December 2011
    Thats exactly it! Its beautiful, all of it. Its a great price, but if youre like me with # of guests....her policy is bullchit.

And maybe she was rude to me b/c she thought I was gunna bail b/c of her policy. But a decent business woman would have tried to figure something out. I was willing to adjust my numbers and thats why I went. To relook and rethink...and she blew it.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    I ran into that policy at a few venues but they were willing to work with. Thats sad that happened i've been to a few things there and its an awesome location! My friends had their reception there and everything seemed smooth.

Better luck to anyone else!
  • edited December 2011
    See my vendor has a "what you tell me is the min charge" So if I have 150 people comin...I tell them 140. So Im set at at least that....but when I wanted 175 people...come on. work with me.

• edited December 2011
    WOW.  FI looked into Dibble's too back in August-ish.  We were seriously considering having our reception there.  However, one of FI's mother's friends told us that it had recently come under new management, and since then had gone down hill.  Apperently she had an annual school banquet there for years, and the first one she had under the new management was horrible.  They now have the banquet at Daniele's (where our reception is) Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I actually heard that but didnt listen. My grandparents go there ever year for a barbershop (as in singing) banquet and my gran dmas not one to complain about food but said their meat was pretty dry. I ignored it cuz she fit my budget and when I asked to do a tasting she said she didnt do them b/c its a waste of money to cook a whole meal for 1 couple. Right.

• edited December 2011
    That's weird. I just spoke with them and it was a man manger and he said I could have a tasting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards