North Carolina-Outer Banks

catering? we want some SEAFOOD! :)

Why does food and alcohol have to be sooo expensive??? My fiance and I love hot dogs, hamburgers, and barbecue as much as any southern couple. But at our wedding reception we really want to have at least one or two stations of local fresh seafood (oysters, shrimp and grits, etc). Other than Kellys, Basnights, and Black Pelican, are there any other options? we are getting married in Manteo and just can't spend $40 a person for food only (not including tax or any beverages). Suggestions? what are other brides doing? MUCH Appreciated ladies!!!

Re: catering? we want some SEAFOOD! :)

• llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Black Pelican and Emily has been fantastic to work with.  However, we're doing crab dip, cocnut shrimp, and fruit/veggie trays as appetizers with BBQ for the meal--so not a full seafood reception (mostly because neither FI or I even really like seafood).  We're also providing our own alcohol, which is cheaper (and we get to keep the leftovers!).  Appetizers, dinner, cake cutting, bartender for 3 hrs, pouring champagne toast, tax, and gratuity is right at $40/person (there is a fee for using plates and such that we rent not through BP).  I don't know, just what worked for us.  If you haven't contacted Emily, you should try because she's pretty great and will definitely try to work with your budget!

• edited December 2011
    We are going with Culinary Magic(aka the good life gourmet). We are doing stations and to cut back on some cost, we are not having full-service. We are having them come to set up but thats all!!! We are also doing some of the appetizers ourselves, like shrimp cocktail and crab dip(my family makes a killer dip. ha) We are buying our own alcohol but hiring a bartender.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hi Jenn!  Where in Manteo?  I am getting married on the beach at MP 15 and our reception is at 108 Budleigh in Manteo....I just love that little town :)

We are going with Coastal Provisions Catering.  They have been voted "best crab cakes on the beach" for the past 2 years and without a doubt, they are THE best crab cakes I have ever had in my life....I want one and now, lol.  They have a great menu to work with and Dan & Nina have been wonderful to work with.

We are also bringing our own alcohol but C. Provisions is taking care of the bartending for us.

Have you looked at the outer bank wedding assoc site yet?  They have a complete listing of all caterers in the obx area:

www.obxwa.com

• JennUndy517JennUndy517 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OBX2011, we are getting married in April 2012 at Elizabethan Gardens and reception at Budleigh!! i love that little town too! i'm from Raleigh but have been going there all my life (my grandparents had a trailer, now a small cottage in Manteo). I will look at the website right now. Thats the best resource i've found so far for finding musicians for the ceremony and officiant. I haven't been engaged long and i am definitely in the early stages of planning but i'm trying to get as much done as EARLY as possible!

llilley - i will definitely try to get in touch with Black Pelican if you're having such a good experience there. $40 a person sounds great for everything that you listed.
     also, thanks  Krhoy20  for the idea about not having everything full-service to keep costs down. I'm 28 so i'm paying for most of this wedding myself and i swear i've read every magazine article about how to have a wedding on a budget but it still seems to add up ridiculously fast! 

thanks everyone! this is a great lil online community i've stumbed upon :)
  • edited December 2011
    I would try Montero's Restaurant. They are located in Elizabeth City #252-331-1067. They work with you and they have AMAZING shrimp and grits. They have a very big catering menu and can pretty much do whatever you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards