Nevada-Las Vegas

XP: Kinda freaking out about make-up

I am only 9 days away and I am just not sure about make-up. I want my face to look flawless! But, I didn't want to pay 100+ for a MUA.. Now I don't know what to do. My friend works in the beauty dept at a department store, and always looks amazing, and she told me what to do and how, but for some reason my face doesn't come out like that!! :/

Now I am not sure what to do.. should I try and find a MUA this late in the game?? I could maybe ask my friend to help me on the day but I feel bad in case she wanted to have fun in Vegas.. Or should I just follow her step by step advice and do it myself? I think my problem is I don't see myself very clearly, I look in the mirror and I see wrinkles (I am only 23 but that is seriously all I see) and dry skin and I always look at flaws, so I don't know if it looks good or not.. :/

I am worried now... :( Help!! I don't even know if anyone would be available??!

Re: XP: Kinda freaking out about make-up

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard some people suggest finding a MAC counter at one of the department stores?
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• bcschumanbcschuman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend MAC too!  Whenever I have seen them do make-up at a store... it usually looks great!
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing my own makeup for my wedding because like you I don't want to spend $100+ on make up that will most likely melt off in the hot Vegas sun. I say do your makeup the way you do it everyday (for work, school and such). You want to look like yourself on your wedding, not a complete stranger! Besides, any way you do your makeup you will look gorgeous! 
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married in May and I am not sure if I am having a MUA or having my MOH do my make -up. Like you I am not sure if 100 is worth it , I would suggest a few thing.1 you can go to your local Mac or Sephore stores and have a trail make over , they will teach you step by step , 2 you should check out Craigslist their were some local make up artist with fare prices.
     Happy Planning
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did my sister's makeup and my own for her wedding and did a pretty good job.  If you have a friend that can help, just ask. Also, consider doing a "class" at a makeup counter and then practicing on yourself every night.  I even do my own fake lashes.  Buy what you want to use and get cracking.  Look online at youtube.  There are TONS of DIY makeup lessons.

I'm doing a make-up artist so that I have a free hand to hold a drink or two. 
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011
    I second smokeybailey. Just keep practicing and also no need to go super glam if you dont feel comfortable doing it.  You will look great!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I had my makeup done at the MAC store at Town Square and was very happy with the results.  For $50, I was allowed the use of the private makeup room and also received a tube of mascara.  Well worth the cost for me.
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, you mentioned that you only concentrate on your flaws when you look in the mirror - something to keep in mind is that your photographer will most likely touch up your pictures as well, evening out skin tone & such.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    If you plan on doing it yourself than I recommend going on youtube and finding some tutorials on different wedding make up looks.  If you find one that you like than you can watch it a few times and practice it.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_xp-kinda-freaking-out-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:80e1377e-900e-4ca1-9d34-f4ba6812f459Post:48e834b9-1df3-4d39-b071-536ae51836c1">Re: XP: Kinda freaking out about make-up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I <strong>am doing my own makeup for my wedding because like you I don't want to spend $100+ on make up that will most likely melt off in the hot Vegas sun</strong>. I say do your makeup the way you do it everyday (for work, school and such). <strong>You want to look like yourself on your wedding</strong>, not a complete stranger! Besides, any way you do your makeup you will look gorgeous! 
    Posted by Lwinter829[/QUOTE]

Me too.  I had a friend practice doing my makeup for me, and I even liked the way I do it everday better.  Also, my skin is extremely sensitive and I cannot risk using anything by my makeup on my skin.  I have never looked at a bride and thought 'she needs more/better makeup'. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_xp-kinda-freaking-out-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:80e1377e-900e-4ca1-9d34-f4ba6812f459Post:b443b702-920e-41c5-984a-b1efe76f9c14">Re: XP: Kinda freaking out about make-up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did my sister's makeup and my own for her wedding and did a pretty good job.  If you have a friend that can help, just ask. Also, consider doing a "class" at a makeup counter and then practicing on yourself every night.  I even do my own fake lashes.  Buy what you want to use and get cracking.  Look online at youtube.  There are TONS of DIY makeup lessons. <strong>I'm doing a make-up artist so that I have a free hand to hold a drink or two. 
    </strong>Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

Love it! LOL

I agree with practicing or if you don't feel confident enough, go with MAC or another place. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, I think I will just keep practicing! There is a sephora in town square though if it doesn't work out. Thanks everyone for their help, especially Smokey, it definitely does appeal to spoil myself and have a drink in each hand :D
  • ahr1982ahr1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Platinum Entourage does makeup for $35 -- hair too!

http://www.blowdrybarlasvegas.com/
  • snowmagnoliasnowmagnolia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I visted Vegas in January, I had my makeup done by Sephora for a dinner date. They did a fabulous job... I just had to buy a $50 gift card. I would love to use them for my wedding... the makeup stayed on my face despite a run from Planet Hollywood to the Luxor to change for dinner, and since I didn't have any make up remover (I never wear makeup), I went to bed with the stuff on, and it looked exactly the same when I woke up in the morning!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks ahr1982! That place is awesome and seems totally my style...my wedding is 1940s post-war era with a touch of Pin-up and they seem totally get to that! I'm excited to try them, plus for the price you can do the trial and the wedding day for less than most other places!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards