June 2012 Weddings
Options

Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)

So, I have to ask- who here likes/loves their engagement ring?

Well...
Yesterday, my FSIL and I went to Build a Bear and this lady was gushing about her fiance and stuff. Woohoo. Well, we got a bear for her very sickly aunt and named it "Final Fling" because we're having a bachelorette weekend in February for her.
Anyways, so we go to check out and the lady was talking to us and asked why it was named Final Fling, and we told her and she asked who was getting married. FSIL told her I was marrying her brother, blah blah blah. Well, like all people do, they say oh congrats, lemme see the ring!
So, of course, I held out my hand and she was shocked! Then she held her hand up and said yours is such much better than mine.
I was shocked. I just kind of looked at her and chuckled awkwardly. And said Oh.
So then she just kept talking about it and when she was getting married and I was like yeah.... Okay...

Seriously, don't judge your ring based off of other people's. It doesn't mean your ring sucks! It just means that my FI worked his tail end off for it. Not to mention, my first ring (the family heirloom) was about a .25 carat. And, I loved that ring with my whole self and still do.

So, in conclusion- DO NOT POINT OUT THAT SOMEONE ELSE'S RING IS BETTER!
How embarassing for her FI. I would've paid money to have him hear her say that.
Gosh.

ETA:
Re-worded because deemed offensive.

First Look
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)

• Options
    Um...my FI worked his tail end off to pay for my ring too. I don't even know how big it is (because I don't really care) but I'm pretty sure it's smaller than that. I love it. The size of the ring doesn't matter. The reason behind the ring is what matters.
  • Options
    Wow... I can't believe she actually said that.  I mean, thinking it is one thing but actually saying it is a much larger step.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:a5bfb452-8b4f-4ffc-a635-a928fbd000c2">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um...my FI worked his tail end off to pay for my ring too. I don't even know how big it is (because I don't really care) but I'm pretty sure it's smaller than that. I love it. <strong>The size of the ring doesn't matter. The reason behind the ring is what matters.
    </strong>Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

This exactly!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:a5bfb452-8b4f-4ffc-a635-a928fbd000c2">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um...my FI worked his tail end off to pay for my ring too. I don't even know how big it is (because I don't really care) but I'm pretty sure it's smaller than that. I love it. The size of the ring doesn't matter. The reason behind the ring is what matters.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

This exactly. That woman just doesnt "get it."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:a5bfb452-8b4f-4ffc-a635-a928fbd000c2">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um...my FI worked his tail end off to pay for my ring too. I don't even know how big it is (because I don't really care) but I'm pretty sure it's smaller than that. I love it. The size of the ring doesn't matter. The reason behind the ring is what matters.

I completely agree with you! Which is why I was absolutely flabbergasted.
    I mean, I remember being a little snub about it in the beginning, but I got over that. (I think most women are like that to start- even if we don't admit it...) But, she is 9 months from getting married and is STILL complaining. I just wanted to get out of there!

First Look
  • Options
    Wow that's ridiculous. I'll admit when we were shopping I was trying on rings and wanted bigger til I found mine but I wouldn't have said that when FI proposed
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:1c6daae0-010a-48f0-a0cf-d3d82eb7c3c1">Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE] It just means that my FI worked his tail end off for it. Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, this is the sentence from your OP that caused my reaction. Not the other lady (even though she clearly doesn't "get it"). This sentence offended me. My FI worked his tail-end off too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:66252d19-d867-4f22-be04-08f674c3dd26">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Funny Day yesterday...(part vent) : Just so you know, this is the sentence from your OP that caused my reaction. Not the other lady (even though she clearly doesn't "get it"). This sentence offended me. My FI worked his tail-end off too.

I apologize for offending you. I meant no harm.
    And, I never meant that other people's FIs didn't work their tail ends off for their rings, regardless of size.

First Look
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:66252d19-d867-4f22-be04-08f674c3dd26">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Funny Day yesterday...(part vent) : Just so you know, this is the sentence from your OP that caused my reaction. Not the other lady (even though she clearly doesn't "get it"). This sentence offended me. My FI worked his tail-end off too.

<div>Jess, that's what I thought you meant. This entire post kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It just didn't seem necessary to the story that you had to tell us how big your center stone was and how many diamonds at what size were on the band. I feel like you could have just left it at my ring was bigger than hers...</div>
  • Options
    Apology accepted Peachy.  
    Thank you for getting what I meant from my first comment Kelsey.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:aa16c352-14c1-4f98-9f40-a2ba8ab68534">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent) : Jess, that's what I thought you meant. This entire post kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It just didn't seem necessary to the story that you had to tell us how big your center stone was and how many diamonds at what size were on the band. I feel like you could have just left it at my ring was bigger than hers...
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Kelsey. Sorry for misunderstanding you Jess!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:76bd856a-e535-4e3d-aee6-94cd43807e95">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent) : I agree with you Kelsey. Sorry for misunderstanding you Jess!!!!
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

No problem, I didn't really come out and say it the first time. You're not a mind reader. ;)
  • Options
    OMG thats crazy ...hahha I love my ring and I know FI also worked so hard to get it and it doesn't matter how much it cost but is the feelings behind it that counts. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    During my first engagement, I *hated* my e-ring. It was terrible. My ex didn't think about what I wanted at all, he just got the biggest diamond he could afford. Then again, that whole engagement was a mistake, so my feelings were probably tied up in that...

My e-ring now is a tiny little chip of a diamond - exactly what I want. I didn't even want a diamond at first, but when we found the antique ring, we knew it was for me. It cost all of $500. My little sister got a Tiffany's ring for her e-ring. It cost a little more than 10x my ring, but I'm not jealous at all, because that's not what I like. The size and expense of the ring means nothing.
  • Options
    i would have loved to know what the original post said lol. DD :(

anyways, my ring is only .33 of a karat & i absolutely love it, i picked it out (well sorta, picked the "lesser" version & he picked this). I would NEVER trade it up, i know some people do because they don't have much money but it is so pretty & sparkly. I get a bit envious sometimes wishing i had a full karat but ah well. 

As for that lady, how rude. 
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_funny-day-yesterdaypart-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:847cd006-683d-4480-ad38-e8423ef4dd28Post:8f4822b4-63b5-458b-a612-d7e8e5f1ebbf">Re: Funny Day yesterday...(part vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]i would have loved to know what the original post said lol. DD :( anyways, my ring is only .33 of a karat & i absolutely love it, i picked it out (well sorta, picked the "lesser" version & he picked this). I would NEVER trade it up, i know some people do because they don't have much money but it is so pretty & sparkly. I get a bit envious sometimes wishing i had a full karat but ah well.  As for that lady, how rude. 
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUOTE]

<div>Bonnie, the part that originally made me mad, I quoted in my second comment. </div>
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Mine isn't even a diamond, and I love it! My Fiance was nervous about it at first because he custom made it with an emerald in the middle instead of the diamond, because he knew how much I love the color green. It is the thought that counts!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards