Canada-Ontario

Professional Photographer vs. Local photography honour student

I am doing lots of research on all aspects of the wedding including the photographer. There seems to be hundreds of options out there. The one I am debating over right now is a professional vs a honour student. If I were to call a local art college and ask the staff to recommend a photography student for our wedding who is eager to please and will charge thousands less than many of the professionals, do you think its worth it?

Let me know your thougths, experiences, etc.

Thanks ladies

Re: Professional Photographer vs. Local photography honour student

• edited December 2011
    I don't see why not, as long as you see their portfolio first-good idea!
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    It's totally up to you, but personally the photography for our wedding is really important to me.  (I should also mention that I'm pretty into photography as a hobby and am really looking forward to great wedding pics)  I wanted to go with someone who has experience shooting weddings - knows where to be standing when for optimal shots.  I also wanted someone with an artistic side - the usual family/WP pics are pretty basic, but I want great, unique shots of the details, candids, etc.  The student may have a nice portfolio, but are there wedding pics in there, because photography for different subjects can be very different.  I understand where you're coming from, I was shocked to learn about the average photog prices in Toronto, but I found someone slightly less expensive and I really love their work.  If you browse a bunch of photog websites, you can really start to see the difference between the ok guys and the pics that make you go, "whoa!"  To each their own, that's just my two cents.  Good luck!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not go this route.

A great photography student might be able to take pretty shots, but it takes experience to know how to work an actual wedding. Not only knowing where to take good shots, but also having a good feel for the timing of wedding events, how to deal with vendors and family members, and how to capture the flow the entire day.

There are lots of other places you can cut costs. You really get your money's worth for photography, and it's one of the few things you're left with after the wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I think if photography is something that you're really into like jaytee mentioned that she is, then using an experienced photographer is definitely a must. However, that said, I have heard of people having bad experiences with experienced photogs (my sister being one of them :( )

We're using a fairly new photog based in Pickering, her work looks lovely and she's a really, really nice person. http://www.almostmarried.ca/photography.html Their prices are reasonable (one of our "musts") and you'll get more of a compromise between the "wet behind the ears" honours student and the really experienced (and expensive!!) photographer.

Good luck and I hope you get the pictures that you're looking for :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMHO, I would use the honour student as the secondary photographer and not the primary. However if you are just looking for basic/main shots then I would go for it (assuming the portfolio is great) and yes you would be saving a bundle
  • earnshaw1000earnshaw1000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is the way I view it....wedding photos are the one tangible thing you will have as a reminder of your wedding day.  So in my opinion, it's important to have something you will be excited to share with your kids, grandkids, and on your 50th wedding anniversary.

That being said, I think trust and communication with your photographer is more important that putting the "professional" tag on it.  I would probably interview the student and the professional and see who you click with.  Are they going to do engagement photos as well?  This can give you a good idea of how they work, and how you work with them.  Do they have a good portfolio?  Even if they are a student, have they ever had experience shooting large events and/or weddings?  

Personally, I'm not getting a professional photographer.  I'm using 2 family friends.  But I know them well, they have shot my sisters wedding, formal family portraits and baby photos, and they do AMAZING candid shots (super important to me, since I LOVE candid shots). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The New SarahThe New Sarah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. It has helped me decide what route to take. I agree that this is the only real tangible item I will have from the day and want them to be perfect (or as close to perfect as I can get).

I will let you know how it goes
  • The New SarahThe New Sarah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. It has helped me decide what route to take. I agree that this is the only real tangible item I will have from the day and want them to be perfect (or as close to perfect as I can get).

I will let you know how it goes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards