Michigan-Detroit

Elegant Bridal - CLOSED!

This was on WDIV Channel 4 in Detroit last night.  It's only a few doors down from where my sister works.

I went in there twice to see if they carried a certain dress....they didn't and wouldn't order it unless I bought it.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Clinton-Township-bridal-shop-Elegant-Impressions-closes-unexpectedly/-/1719418/7142172/-/urheysz/-/index.html

Re: Elegant Bridal - CLOSED!

• I heard about that on the news yesterday too! That really sucks.. ]:
  • Ugh I hope this doesn't effect any of our knotties.  Not good :(
  • Wow, that REALLY sucks. That poor bride will probably find someone to do it for her for nothing, just because someone will feel really sorry for them, and it would be a HUGE public relations boost. At least she got her dresses........ how many brides and bridesmaids out there are waiting on orders they've paid for?

If any Knotties are affected, I'd recommend going to Alessandra's in Warren on Hoover, north of 12 Mile Rd. They are VERY understanding, excellent customer service, and they may be able to help.
  • I talked with my sister today and asked her what the scoop was.  There was something in regards to them selling knock-off dresses.  I wouldn't be surprised if the dresses show up on eBay.
  • I was told by Elegant Impressions back in November that they would be closing in mid-December for either remodeling or re-locating!! At that time they told me they would not take any new orders until they re-opened in mid to late January. I think they were very up front with what was going to happen. My friends have used them in the past and been very happy with the service and that is why I thought I would go to them for my gown. The bride that was on the news has her dress and all the bridesmaids dresses which is great. I think her complaint is actually that she misses out on the free alterations the shop used to offer. I knew the store was closing and I bet the bride they interviewed did too. Bottom line I think the news story made things sound horrible and more catastrophic than needed when in reality it is really about the bride having to find someone to do alterations.
  • Well, I don't know but the dentist in the same shopping strip told the beauty shop that my sister works at that they started packing up late one night and high-tailed it outta there.  Seems like there have been a few other shady businesses in there, including the chiropractor.....
  • I am the bride that was interviewed in the story. On Wednesday, November 16th, I received a phone call from them stating that my bridesmaids' dresses were in and that my girls would have to pick them up and pay their remaining balances by Wednesday, November 23rd because they would be closing the store at the end of that day for remodeling. (This was the first I have ever heard of this and I had been dealing with them since March 2011.) I had to contact the ladies standing up in my wedding and tell them that they needed to come up with the remainder of their money and pick up their dresses by the November 23rd... one week's notice.  I ended up having to go to the bridal shop myself on Tuesday the 22nd to get two of dresses, because two of my bridesmaids were unable to get there with such short notice.  When I went there, they did have a signs hanging on the front of the building that said “REMODELING SALE” and that all accessories were 50% off.  While picking up my bridesmaids' dresses, I purchased the slip for my wedding gown, because they told me that when they opened back up during the first week of January, they wouldn’t have any accessories in the store.  This is where I started to become a little bit suspicious. 

On Monday, November 28th, I drove passed the store on my way home from work and saw that they were still open, when they should have closed on the 23rd. I called them when I got home and asked why they were still open, when they told me they were closing on the 24th for remodeling.  They stated that they were always closing on the 30th and they gave me no real answer as to why they had lied.  My friend called them about an hour later telling them that she was newly engaged and she was referred to them for a wedding gown.  They urged her to come in right away and told her they would be closing on the 30th until mid February.  This posed a HUGE problem. One, they lied to me and told  they were opening back up during the first week of January; two, my wedding is February 11, 2012, so if they weren’t going to open until mid February, how was I and all of my bridesmaids (5) supposed to get our alterations done? (Another reason I chose this bridal shop was because all alterations were included in the price of each dress.)  I called them right back and called them out on their lie.  They said they should be open by the end of January and they assured me that, no matter what, they would get all of the alterations done for me and my bridesmaids.  They actually told me that they could get all six of them, one being a wedding gown, done in one day, if need be.  This also seemed odd to me, because the day I selected my gown and paid for it, they told me that I would need three fittings.  

They also told me that if they don’t decide to remodel, they may just move to a different location. When I asked if they would be calling their brides to let them know when they would reopen and whether or not they were moving, I was told that I could just call and/or drive by on occasion.  They said that their phone would be forwarded to their new building and there would be a sign on the door giving their information.  I asked them four times during this phone conversation if they were going out of business, I was told repeatedly that if they were, they didn’t know that and, at one point, I was informed that I just ‘really need to calm down’, although I never raised my voice.

I drove passed the store a few weeks later and sure enough it was closed and completely empty... no sign on the door, as I was told there would be.  I called them last week on Wednesday and their phone number was disconnected.  I went to their company website and it was down.  They have gone out of business and I have 6 dresses that need alterations and I am getting married in 46 days. I am just totally devastated and really feel like I was taken advantage of.  I hate having to go back to my girls telling them that after all the money they have spent on their dresses, they have to spend even MORE money now for alterations, that were supposed to be included in their dress prices.

They knew the entire time that they would be closing. I have a friend that works for the City and there were never any permits pulled to do remodeling on the story. What also gets me is that they were uring my friend to come purchase a dress from them even though they knew they would be closing their doors for good. Shame on them for the way that they acted. And also, although they claim that the alterations were "free" they actually just jacked up the prices of my gown and all of my bridesmaids gowns to cover the cost of the alterations, let's face it, nothing is ever really free. So yeah, I was pissed that we were all out of alterations that we truly did pay to have done. I may have known that the store was going to "close", for remodeling or relocating that is, not PERMANENTLY! And it is pretty HORRIBLE that I had to scramble and dish out more money for my gown and have all my girls do the same, especially so close to my wedding date. I guess if it has never happened to you, you don't know how it feels. I have paid to have my alterations done on my gown, and they are being handled by The Sewing Room in Utica, Michigan and they are awesome. There are still some good people left out there. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards