Canada

Suggestions?

Hey gals, I know I haven't been around too much. Things got crazy and, well, you know how life is.
I need to turn to you guys for some help and suggestions. I'm seriously open to anything at this point. My parents are paying for everything for the wedding. The only problem is that it's in Florida, and they said that we have to pay our own way down there. 
FI cancelled his credit cards last year after having issues with paying them back (we paid off in a lump sum), so I went yesterday to the bank to see about getting a credit card to pay for our plane tickets. I ended up being denied because the only credit history I have is my car and because of issues I ended up behind and have been slowly paying it off. However, this ends up making my credit history show that I'm 90+ days behind.
FI is going to try next, but with his history I'm not sure if he can be approved for anything near what we need. My parents are already stretching for the wedding, IL's don't have any money, and none of our friends have enough room on credit cards to pay for two tickets.
If he's denied, does anybody have any suggestions? The wedding is only a month away now, and at this rate it looks like it may end up happening without us =(
December 2010 siggy challenge - Caketopper:
cake crown Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suggestions?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is the issue that you can't get a credit card with which to pay for the tickets, or the money?

If the issue is just getting a credit card, you can try booking the flight through a travel agent. Since you're dealing with them in person, they may be willing to accept a certified cheque. Booking through a travel agent shouldn't be any more expensive than booking on your own.

Worst case scenario: you could drive...
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe you could try talking to your bank about other options?  I'm sure they'd have someone who can help you or at least lead you in the right direction.

Hope everything works out ok soon for you!!
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say look for a cheaper way to get there.

Drive, bus, fly from Buffalo (or whatever American city is closest to you) or whatever.  Airfare from Canada to the States is usually way way more than just hopping around in the States.  How are your friends getting down?  Is anyone driving?  See if you can carpool.

If just coming up with the cash is part of the problem, see if there are any odd jobs you can do for friends for cash.  See if you have anything you can see on Craigslist/Kijiji.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs. 

Also, I've heard that Capital One will give you a card even if other places won't.  It would be something that would have higher interest but if you're just using it for tickets then paying it off it might not be so bad.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • nfp147nfp147 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have the money and just can't get the card, you could get a pre-paid credit card (you can't use it unless there's money available on it).
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

TTC Since January 2011 - We have bad sperm IUI #1 (February 2013) = BFN Nestie Besties with Xan921
  • mflowers929mflowers929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I've found a solution, actually. Watching TV today, I saw that CIBC now has the visa debit cards, so I'm going to see if FI can sign up with them. If not, FI is going to try to get his dad or g-pa to cosign for a credit card with him. Thanks for the suggestions. If neither of those work, I'll see about maybe flying from Bangor.
    December 2010 siggy challenge - Caketopper:
    cake crown Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um, doesn't the process of applying for a new credit card take a few weeks?

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards