Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Anyone familiar with Publix wedding cake?

I live in Florida so I've had Publix cake many times (birthdays etc). However, I've never had their wedding cake (at least not to my knowledge) and I wondered if it tasted any different than their standard birthday cakes. Don't get me wrong, Publix makes great cakes, but I know that their birthday cakes are very fluffy and light. I like when wedding cake is a little more dense. Does anyone know if the wedding cakes are different in any way? I hope that made sense. :) We have a few tastings set up but I didn't know if it was worth it to "try" the Publix cake since I've had it so many times. If it's different though....I'd lke to see how it measures up to the local bakeries. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anyone familiar with Publix wedding cake?

• edited December 2011
    My friend had a publix wedding cake and it tasted like all other Publix cakes to me. 
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I justed posted some of my own publix cake questions lol...but as far as taste they do taste the SAME...Ive had two before, I just know they really can offer up a selection of flavors. I was talking to a lady last week but she made me nervous so I came here to ask a few questions about frostings lol
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to two weddings with Publix cakes and you could tell it was a Publix cake. That's not bad because I love Publix cake, but it might not be what you were looking for. It was delicious, though. Probably the best wedding cake I've had - not dry or anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_anyone-familiar-publix-wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:950391ba-99e5-4842-aa69-cfc2746286a2Post:497e4b95-45e7-49da-8a2e-1f00e8c63086">Re: Anyone familiar with Publix wedding cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to two weddings with Publix cakes and you could tell it was a Publix cake. That's not bad because I love Publix cake, but it might not be what you were looking for. It was delicious, though. Probably the best wedding cake I've had - not dry or anything.
    Posted by Jennifer&Nate[/QUOTE]

I had a sweetbay one recently and omg it was disgusting....like spit out of your mouth disgusting. LoL I am grown and raised on publix cake for birthdays and special events lol.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, so yeah.....we called and they put some "wedding" cake samples aside. It's exactly the same as the birthday cake. Delicious.....but probably not what I want for wedding cake.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was certain I'd go with Publix after talking with a representative at a local bridal show. The price was great, and from the photos in their book, I felt confident we could find something we would like.
    But then I saw a cake that had been delivered to a wedding my caterer was setting up for. (I happened to be there to see her setup before booking with her) I was so excited to see the cake as they unboxed it. Long story short, I was pretty surprised. The cake truly looked like something I could have put together. The white cake was visible through the light yellow frosting, which was VERY uneven. The bride had also ordered two simple sheet cakes, which looked like they'd been slapped together, too.
    I realize this could be an isolated instance, but it made me rethink my Publix plans really quickly. You never know who you're going to get to put together your cake and I think I'd rather go with someone who's been in the bakery business for a while rather than trust in a grocery store. Just something to think about. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FI's sister had a Publix cake for her wedding. It tasted great but didn't look great. It wasn't symmetrical and looked like it was going to fall over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards