Washington
Options

OOT guests & traveling

My FI & I are planning our wedding for Dec 21st 2012 (we don't believe in the world ending on that day stuff, we planned it that day because of the Winter Solstice)

His family lives here in Washington (Vancouver), but mine lives in Central California (Sacramento area). What I am concerned about is the traveling issues, with it 1) being winter and 2) so close to Christmas. I am pretty sure my family would not mind traveling, however with it being so close to Christmas I am not sure. 

Should I send out my invitations earlier than normal? And is there anything I should do to intice them to travel, or make their traveling troubles more worth while?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: OOT guests & traveling

• Options
    Jerusha19Jerusha19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say send STD cards since it's near the holiday and maybe include info on the amtrack, Might be a better way to travel in incimate weather since they can't be trapped at an airport or on the road. Also if Yule is part of why you chose the winter solstice then maybe include some sort of special Yule celebration and hint that in the STD or invite.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of the Amtrak info. I just recently did the trip myself from CA to WA and it was much better than a plane ride, not as fast as a car or plane, but still nice. 

We were going to look into maybe renting a vacation rental for the week, that way my family could stay for the holidays.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're talking a year and a half away.. PLEASE don't send out your STD's anytime soon! I would say send the STD's out about 7-9 months before hand.. That's a little earlier than normal which will be just fine for them to have a heads up. Invites could be sent out at about 10 weeks, but I wouldn't go any earlier than that. 

I wouldn't worry about travel... I used to live in California and drove up several times for Christmas and it was fine (Chains!) but there are so many ways of travelling, car, train, or plane.

The fact that it's your WEDDING should entice them enough.. You don't have to go crazy out of your way, but when they do come up here you could do fun seattle giftbags for them in their hotel rooms. We have several people travelling from Chattanooga TN for our wedding (my Fiance's hometown). Several won't travel, but several will. That's just the way it goes. Luckily your family is coming from California and that's such an easy drive/flight/ride.

If you are really worried about the date, you could see if your/his family that lives in the area would be willing to throw a "mock" christmas dinner for everyone  as a welcome and happy holidays, as well as include a slip in your STD or Invite with "Christmas Things to do in the Area"  so that they know that you recognize the fact that it's close toa  big holiday, but really want them there still.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no way I wasn't planning on sending them out this early! Your timeline gives me a good idea as to when, so thank you :)

I think that they would travel (they did it some years ago for my Uncles wedding near Spokane I think) so I don't see why mine would be a problem since PDX is very near us. But my family never ceases to amaze me with what they are or aren't willing to do.

I had an idea for welcome bags, full of ideas of things to do, and what's in the area, plus after wedding get togethers (FI & I don't plan on taking our honeymoon just yet)

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I don't think it will be a problem, my is very jazzed about a winter wedding :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards