Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

IPOD Playlist

I'm using an ipod for my October wedding at a hotel in Chicago.  I'm having trouble figuring out when to play the dance songs (Lady Gaga), the slow songs, and the group songs (YMCA).  Do I just mix them all together or when I start the dance songs do I just stick to them?  I have a three hour dance reception and want to make sure it isn't a downer. 

Re: IPOD Playlist

• edited December 2011
    i would do the classics first...like YMCA and Michael Jackson...etc.

then as it gets later...and the older people get tired (some of them will leave) move on to more recent songs like Lady Gaga
  • edited December 2011
    I would mix up the songs. But I would put the more club like songs at towards the end of the reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I heard you should play a slow song for every seven fast songs.  And I agree with Erin, play the modern stuff towards the end.  Play the classics (The Bee Gees, KC & The Sunshine Band, etc) at the beginning to get everyone on the dance floor.  The more recognizable the songs, the more people out there dancing!

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • mkbowdermkbowder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely mix them up... Othewise you will have the group of people comfortable with slow songs dancing for the first half of the reception and those more likely to dance to faster songs the other half Smile
  • Beat Crazy DJBeat Crazy DJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make different folders and jump between them: Slow, disco, oldies, classic rock, etc Then you can accomodate the mood of the room and have a mass of great songs to pick from at your fingertips. Just letting it run 100% autopilot will never time the evening out right. Have someone responsible for running the player.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  Great advice.
  • edited December 2011
    We started with a couple of great killer dance songs to get people on the floor.  We then made sure to keep the oldies/polka/group songs closer to the front half of the night.  We played one slow song after about 1 hour of dancing.  We put two more after half an hour then two more later, etc. Closer to the end of the night we swelled the music to a great 'club' scene feel before mellowing it out with singier songs.  Ended with a few cool down numbers.  You should definitely put the music together ahead of time then play through the entire night at least once.  We put ours on during dinner one night then listened through the entire playlist while doing other wedding stuff.  We didn't get much done as we kept getting up to dance in the living room!!  Lots of fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards