Michigan-Grand Rapids

How to ask for $?

My fiance and I have lived together for a couple of years now and don't need any of the things that come from the standard bridal registry.  We do, however, need some new living room furniture!  Does anyone know of a nice way to ask for money and/or gift cards to go towards the new furniture on the wedding invitation? 

Thank You! 

Re: How to ask for $?

• I don't think you're ever supposed to reference your registry or gifts on the invitation.  That's more what the shower invitations are for.  Whoever is throwing your shower could think of a way to phrase it maybe.
  • We're in the same boat.  We've lived together for 5 years now and really just need money to fix things in our house, buy furniture, etc.  We decided to set up an account at honeyfund.com

As far as getting the word out about it, we just stuck it under the registries link on our wedding website (which was included on our save the dates).  We have a lot family from out of state so I'm sure many will visit the site to find area hotel info.  It's a fairly passive way to go about it but I'm hoping it'll reduce the amount of "where are they registered?" phone calls our parents will get.
  • We hadn't lived together before the wedding, but had both been on our own for a few years and already owned lots of things too. What we ended up doing was registering with BB&B because they have the most lenient return policy. We registered for lots of things we didn't really need, and returned them to apply the money towards a really nice set of pots and pans we knew nobody would buy for us otherwise.

We also were able to return several things for cash and gift cards that we then could use to buy gifts for several of our friends who were getting married last summer too. Nobody will know you returned the dishtowels your great aunt Maude got for you, trust me.

Also, register for Crate and Barrel gift cards or Pottery Barn, or whatever you like. You can then add them together to apply towards new furniture. A wedding website is a great way to list all of these things on your registry. Nobody said you can only register 2 places or whatever.
  • I definatly agree that you should not put this anywere on your invites! I also think that the honeyfund is a great idea. We had a relatively big registry, but mostly we just got cash which was great.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Any registry information on the invitations is an etiquette no-no, as is asking for cash in any way.  Therefore, the honeyfund registry is a no-no as well.  You should create a small registry of upgrades for your home.  Your guests will know that cash is always a welcome gift.  I would rather give you cash than contribute to a honeyfund where you do not get all of the money.

Also, if you do not have a registry of physical items, be sure to decline any offers for a shower.
  • It is a Chinese tradition to give money. For my sister's 600 some people wedding, she was able to get enough money to pay for her wedding and to put a good down payment for her new house!!! Here is my webpage that talks about the tradition, you can set it up at your RSVP page.

Another option I've seen is people setup a webpage for "honeymoon fund" and have their guests deposit money into their paypal account instead of registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards