Gay Weddings
Options

Last Names?

My partner and I are getting married in a little lesss than a year and we're debating about last name changes.  We are both sentimental about our own last names, but we'd like to somehow take on some part of the other person's last name to signify we're married.  What are you all doing?

Re: Last Names?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I went back and forth on this. We decided to keep our last names. We'll hyphenate our child's last name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We kept our separate last names.  Then again, my ex-husband and I had kept our separate last names in my prior marriage, too.
  • Options
    sari5765sari5765 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're hyphenating. We argued a bit but decided to go with hers first, because she was concerned that if our kids' names start with an "A," they'll be under undo pressure in school and such. Whatever. I grew up fine. I gave in because, well, everything's a compromise, right?
    check out our wedding blog at http://kellyandsari.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hyphenating seems like the most practical idea to keep both of your names, or possibly using parts of each of you name, to create a new one? (My friend almost did that, because the two last names could be "Centaur."  But her husband didn't go for that, hehehe).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We hyphenated, but instead of each of us taking the others name last, we put mine first and his second so they were the same and still had both names.
  • Options
    MindLikeMoonMindLikeMoon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well you could always hyphenate the two names. I already have a hyphenated name from my parents so even though my soon to be wife wouldn't mind taking mine we've decided to take hers. But joining the two names would be an option so both of you can maintain your name yet link it to your partner.  Hope this suggestion helps =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For us, it was pretty straight forward.  My DF's last name is common, 6 letters long, and easy to pronounce.  My last name is 11 letters long, a bizarre variant on an already obscure name, nobody EVER spells it correctly, and I am thrilled to finally have an excuse to get rid of it.  But I'm also going to change my middle name to another surname in my family, my grandmother's maiden name, so I still have that link to my biological family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    erinnrandierinnrandi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    'I am going to take my partner's last name once we're married. It's partly because her family has always been very supportive of the two of us, and really took me in & made me feel like I was a part of the family at a time when I wasn't so close with my own -- but it's mostly because her name is just a whole lot easier to spell & pronounce. :)

My folks were a little sad when I told them I was changing my name, though, so now I'm feeling a little guilty about it. I'm going to hang on to my old name as a middle name (which is what my mother did when she married my dad), so hopefully in time they'll come to forgive me.
  • Options
    Jenn&BecJenn&Bec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are in the same boat. I think we will decide to hyphen ours too but it's honestly it seems like a pain. I really like the idea of keeping your own names and hyphening the childs name!
    "Grow Old With Me & The Best is Yet to Be"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're hyphenating our last names. Both of them are short, easy to spell, and fairly common, so we couldn't decide which should go first. So we just polled our best friends on which way it sounded best. We don't care about which way it goes, but at elast we got our answer. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We picked an entirely new last name.  Neither of us wanted to take the other's or hyphenate, but we wanted to have the same last name as each other and our son so we chose something new.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're each technically keeping our own names. She will be (unofficially) taking mine for private use becasue she has a very unique last name and works with the very mentally ill--we figure it'll be safer just in case. If it wasn't for that reason though, we wouldn't even bother with any type of name changing.

If we have children we'll probably use my name because I am otherwise the last in my line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Check out our wedding blog/site!

"Cause every time I try and tell her how I feel/ it comes out "I love you"
  • Options
    JessNatJessNat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Me and my partner are going to hyphenate our last names. Like with my name it will be my last name and then hers and for her it will be her last name then mine.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    sorry if this a late addition to the thread but my fiance and I are taking on each others last names as we are both fond of them. I'm the last in my line so i want to keep the family name around, hyphenating with hers afterwards. She's the baby of her family but the only girl so she will be keeping hers but with mine tagged on afterwards.

D-L and L-D.

Hope this helps!
    "Within you, I lose myself. Without you, I find myself wanting to be lost again."-anonymous ...as if it was the most natural question in the world =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards