Ohio-Columbus
Options

Facebook to get addresses?

What does everyone think about sending a mass message on Facebook to all of my cousins and close friends to ask for their updated addresses? Is it tacky and rude or practical? 

Re: Facebook to get addresses?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I would do it indivdually as opposed to sending a mass message out. Also, I would only use FB as a last resort if you cannot get the adddresses otherwise from either your parents, FI's parents or other family members.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent individual messages to many of my cousins as well as FI's friends. I think it's practical. But, I don't think I'd do a mass email.
  • Options
    lyssa5966lyssa5966 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's what I did and I had about 50 addressess done in one day. It's not like you're creating an event and inviting them all to your wedding that way. :) I don't find it tacky at all
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp- if there's no other way to get them, send a personal message via facebook, text message, or otherwise. I fortunately got most of my list from someone who had a spreadsheet. I added or deleted depending on who we were inviting (the list had over 500 people, by the way. Dwindling down to 230 was a challenge! Fortunately my mom and grandma came to the rescue for mom's side of the family!) Anyways, I went to my immediate family, whitepages.com, or asking someone in person before asking them online. Getting addresses is a big task, so good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely used FB for gathering addresses. I don't think its tacky or offensive.
    kissing

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP: 10/26/11 EDD: 6/28/12

• Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I set up a Save the Date for my internet-savvy friends. We are sending out real Save the Dates but why not use FB to get the ball rolling? I asked people to send their addresses on the event page. Personally, I think it's a great idea. It's not like you aren't going to send them an official invite later.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not send out a mass message, because when people reply, it would go to the whole group, which of course you would not want, but you could definitely just copy and paste a generic message to your friends you need.  You could also say you are updating your addresses for christmas cards or something.  I used facebook for addresses, it is nice because you get a response quickly!  My friends just out of college seem to move frequently, either into a new apt. or buying a house, so it is hard to keep up.  I don't think this would be tacky, as long as its not a mass message.
    Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • Options
    JMS842JMS842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. :) I have a ton of cousins/spouses/their children (haven't counted in a while, but last I knew I have about 35+) all in between 23-38yrs. old so FB may be the best way. lol My parents and I have already gone through their address book(s) and still empty handed. Save-the-Dates and Invitations would of course follow. :) Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been contacted a few times over facebook for my address and I didn't see anything wrong with it at all! So, I say go for it. But I agree that a personal message is probably better because otherwise everyone will get everyone else's responses! 
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used WWW.ANYWHO.COM to get  a lot of my addresses. I only had one returned, and then I did use facebook to send them a message. You could also call them!
  • Options
    AlliD11AlliD11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent individual messages to some of my cousins and friends that I needed their updated addresses - I don't see anything wrong with it. I just wouldn't do a mass message. I also know my cousin and his now wife sent messages to me and some of our other cousins for our updated addresses and I didn't see anything wrong with it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards