New York

Shower Invite

Who did you all invite to your showers?

I ask because I invited only family and friends that lived in NYC and NJ (the shower is in NJ) plus bridal party and my mother.  I did not invite friends and family that lived far away simply because I didn't want to make them feel like they needed to come and/or needed to send me a gift.  My FMIL (who's throwing the shower) invited everyone on her side of our guest list, regardless of location.  Apparently, my decision to restrict the guest list is confusing to some people as I've gotten some questions about it.  I thought my way was pretty normal.
Anniversary

Re: Shower Invite

• edited December 2011
    Most of my wedding guest list was in town, but those who were OOT did not get an invite (with the exception of Joshs aunt b/c she made some "Im a b!tch" stink about not being invited...keeping in mind that she lives out of state and Josh met her (and the rest of his dads family) when he was 18 and hes seen her all of maaaybe 4 times. But thats beside the point.

I invited my BP, immediate family from both sides and close friends and family friends. I think all together I invited just under 50 people and maybe 35 came.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I only invited the people within NY state for the same reason as you...I didn't want them to feel like they had to buy a gift. 

• edited December 2011
    I've seen it both ways. Around home (western PA) it's just family and close friends at showers, but around here it seems like it's every female who is invited to the wedding. Which balloons guest lists to 75 people! I've also seen people give brides showers when they aren't invited to the wedding (i.e. coworkers when the wedding is smaller/out of town). So really I've learned that there are no rules!

Personally, I agree that sending a shower invite to someone far away seems a bit gift-grabby. Few people are going to travel for a shower. If they would travel, then they're close enough to you to invite anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    This is what I thought...
    Anniversary
  • raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    The only out of state people that I'm inviting are my aunt and cousin that live in Indianapolis. My cousin is a bridesmaid, and even though I know they won't be able to make it, I know they would appreciate the invite just to have it.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards