Rhode Island

HELP!!

Hi ladies!! I'm getting married in Newport next year 12-1-12....here's my dilemma....we really want to have everything happen in Newport for the convience to our out of towm guests, we live in Providence and I hate to have people driving all around the state for our day. With that said, we are both Catholic and want to be married in a church, I called St. Mary's and they wouldn't even give me the time of day...I even told the woman we would drive to Newport every week to go to church there and she said no, any advice???

Re: HELP!!

• edited December 2011
    oh man - that is tough one. I would give you the info for my church in south county -but they have been less than reasonable or helpful so I won't do that :( did you try kay chapel in newport? I think a lot of girls use that church on here...where is the venue? I mean - worse come to worse - Prov and NPT aren' that far - they could come down the back way through bristol and warren...
  • kathanddavekathanddave member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi-Call St Lucy's in Middletown and speak with Father O'Brien he is very welcoming to non parishiners marrying at his church.  You will get nowhere with St. Joe's, Jesus Savior and St Augustine's if you aren't a parishiner.  Father O'Brien is fabulous!  I went through the same situation. Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Try St. Lucy's. It's in Middletown but not too far from Newport. I believe I've heard they're more on the flexible side. Or St. Barnabas in Portsmouth might give you the time of day at least. They're both local Catholic churches. The Catholic religion can be tough (that's why I'm Episcopalian lol!). Would your minister at your church consider doing a wedding down here, either in another church or even at your venue?
    Or there's the Navy Base which has a chapel in it. Or Salve Regina University is a Catholic college (in Newport) so I'm sure they have a church that might be more open. I hope that helps you some! Good luck!!!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • angel83121angel83121 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice ladies!!! After much consideration we have tossed the idea of having our ceremony in Newport, my hopes were for St. Mary's where the Kennedy's were married...I couldn't get past the receptionist let alone plead my case to the priest! LOL So to save myself the stress and groveling you apparently have to do we have decided to go with a beautiful church that is closer to home! Thanks again ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards