Pre-wedding Parties

Announcement or Engagement Party

Hello ladies, I am debating on which would be best or if either one is needed at all. I thought about getting professional photo's taken and sending out an annoucement to our families in reference to our engagement. My fiance thought it would be nice to have an engagement party since we would both like our families to meet before the wedding. Which one would you choose to do or are neither important?

Re: Announcement or Engagement Party

• garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, you're not supposed to throw yourself an engagement party.  That is usually thrown by a friend or family member.  You can do an announcement if you want.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote neither. It is poor etiquette to throw yourself an engagement party, or any type of party that is in your honor. Engagement announcements are not mailed out, they are usually posted in the paper, if anything. Marriage announcements are mailed out after the wedding. If you want to use engagement pictures for some type of wedding stationary, use them for save-the-dates, which are mailed out 6-8 months before the wedding.

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011
    You shouldn't throw yourself an engagement party. You can send out an announcement if you'd like, but unless someone offers to throw the E-Party, then you shouldn't have one.

I would just go out to dinner with the two families so they can meet, no need to call that an engagement party. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We did an engagement announcement/save the date combo. We are far away from both our families and wanted to do something to make them feel included. They all loved it .Then for christmas we went to see my family, and my mom threw us an engagement party to introduce FI to the family. We did not ask her nor did she offer, we just kind of coordinated it because we are close like that.

To take what PP's have said and make it slightly less b!tchy I think that if a family member is excited to host an engagement party then that would be lovely, otherwise do the same thing just call it something different.

Or if your family is not all kinds of concerned about the ettiquite of it all then call it an engagement party all you want.

Congratulations on your engagement!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_announcement-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:76517d09-7b81-47fa-b102-fa1d1c16ea4aPost:9c0b64d7-5fec-4b09-831e-2ebe5aeedb52">Re: Announcement or Engagement Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote neither. It is poor etiquette to throw yourself an engagement party, or any type of party that is in your honor. <strong>Engagement announcements are not mailed out, they are usually posted in the paper, if anything.</strong> Marriage announcements are mailed out after the wedding. If you want to use engagement pictures for some type of wedding stationary, use them for save-the-dates, which are mailed out 6-8 months before the wedding.
    Posted by ivyrose13[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the bold part. I've gotten plenty of announcements in the mail. Mainly a photo of the happy couple announcing their engagement... It's cute and lots of people have done it. I'm sure we'll be receiving a STD in a few months for them, and then an invite.

Though, PP's are correct, it is poor etiquette to throw an engagement party in your own honor. You should never throw something like that for yourself. Like a shower, someone (particularly a close friend of family member) will offer to throw you one, then you can accept or decline as you see fit.

FMIL and FSFIL threw FI and I our engagement party a couple of months after we got engaged... this is where my family and FI's family met and mingled.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want your families to meet before the wedding, simply have a get-together, but don't call it an engagement party. As PPs pointed out, it is poor etiquette to throw yourself a party.

We just made a point to have our parents and siblings meet. Not a big to-do, we just went out to dinner together and it was a nice informal way for them to get to know each other.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_announcement-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:76517d09-7b81-47fa-b102-fa1d1c16ea4aPost:b4c652e5-9186-432c-a19f-ac206f18888b">Re: Announcement or Engagement Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did an engagement announcement/save the date combo. We are far away from both our families and wanted to do something to make them feel included. They all loved it .Then for christmas we went to see my family, and my mom threw us an engagement party to introduce FI to the family. We did not ask her nor did she offer, we just kind of coordinated it because we are close like that. <strong>To take what PP's have said and make it slightly less b!tchy </strong>I think that if a family member is excited to host an engagement party then that would be lovely, otherwise do the same thing just call it something different. Or if your family is not all kinds of concerned about the ettiquite of it all then call it an engagement party all you want. Congratulations on your engagement!
    Posted by ILoveSnelly[/QUOTE]

There wasn't a single post that was b!tchy.  They were giving good advice.  For you to call them b!tchy was out of line, IMO
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards