Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Invitees?

We are planning a destination wedding at a beach in our home state (therefore, ALL wedding guests would be "out of town" guests). My FI's father is paying for the rehearsal dinner and the place where we are having it can only accommodate up to 50 people. My FI and I both come from large extended families so I thought we would only invite wedding party, their significant others, and immediate family (parents, sibllings, grandparents) to the dinner. Well....my FI's father wants to invite ALL of their extended family from NY to the rehearsal dinner (aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, etc). They are Italian and I understand that this is the expected tradition/etiquette. However, I don't know what to do because my mother is 1 of 7 children and my dad is 1 of 3 children...I'm not going to do the math, but that is a LOT of aunts, uncles, and cousins on my side. I obviously can't invite them all, but I also can't invite some and not others. Since his dad is paying for the dinner, I understand that he should be able to invite anyone he wants, but I don't think it's fair that my FI's entire extended family is invited, but I basically only get to invite my immediate family. I'm just afraid that my family is going to feel slighted when they realize what is going on.

Am I being overly sensitive or do you guys think this is ok? Any suggestions on how to handle the issue?

Thanks! 

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Invitees?

• Options
    No, I don't think you're being overly sensitive at all. Maybe what you guys need to do is sit down with you FFIL together and explain the situation. Remind him that this is about both of your families and that you would like to keep the drama to a minimum. By keeping the guests to the dinner to a specific list of family members (parents, g-parents, siblings and wedding party) all of the cousins, 2nd cousins, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, shouldn't feel slighted.  Good luck! It's a sticky situation to be sure.
  • Options
    It is suppose to be all out of town guests so that would be all the guests from out of town like you said everyone.  if hes paying for it, he should invite his family and yours, not exclude yorus.    If you couldn't afford having a wedding out of town you shouldnt have. 
  • Options
    Maybe he would be agreeable to a rehearsal dinner for the wedding party/spouses/dates, parents, grandparents, officient, and others participating in the wedding itself. Then have a gathering afterward for everyone else with ust appetizers & drinks.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest what the PP did... have the traditional rehearsal dinner for the wedding party, spouses, etc. And then afterwards, have a "social hour" type of event for the rest of the family and OOT guests.

Would this be a possibility?
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_rehearsal-dinner-invitees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8ba540ac-2d53-4685-9741-1c07dafb9b8dPost:0b388aee-7980-4d7d-b42f-39e8def2e0d7">Re: Rehearsal Dinner Invitees?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is suppose to be all out of town guests so that would be all the guests from out of town like you said everyone.  if hes paying for it, he should invite his family and yours, not exclude yorus.    I<strong>f you couldn't afford having a wedding out of town you shouldnt have. </strong>
    Posted by craigandlorianne[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with the previous post that not all out of town guests have to be invited to the rehearsal dinner. </div><div> I also find it offensive that you blast the original post with "if you couldn't afford to". She is obviously paying for the wedding.  Her FIL is paying for the rehearsal dinner.  I understand she is saying that she doesn't feel right asking FIL to include 50+ members of her family in an event she is not financially involved with.  While the rehearsal dinner is certainly part of the wedding weekend, it is not a requirement to invite anyone other than those involved directly with the wedding (wedding party, parents, etc) and their guests who you are asking to be there an extra day.

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards