Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Booking makeup artist before trial? Help!

Hi ladies...has anyone booked their makeup artist just based on reviews and seeing pictures of their work? I have been researching and some are booked already for my wedding date which is in September. I want my trial to be when we get our e-pics done...so do you see my dilemma?? I'm afraid to book without a trial but I don't want to wait too long and everyone be booked...what does everyone think???

Re: Booking makeup artist before trial? Help!

• I have had mine booked for over half a year now and I haven't met her or had my trial yet.  I plan to go in for my trial next month.  I really did just base it off of reviews because there were so many and not one review was negative.  Also, her work looks amazing and I can't wait to have her do my hair and make-up.  I was lucky to get mine because my date was originally booked but the bride who had that date ended up cancelling her wedding.  Good for me but not so good for her!

I would say just go with what you are comfortable with.  I know there are some brides who would never book a hair/make-up artist without a trial and others don't mind.  
  • I did, kind of. I was a BM in a wedding where she did hair and makeup. I'm having a DW so won't actually have my trial until just a few days before the wedding
    Anniversary
  • I actually used my E-pics as a sort of trial.  I loved what she did so I just booked her for my wedding right then (but still had a hair and makeup trial with her later before the wedding).  She had great reviews and every bride she had done on my local board looked incredible so I felt pretty good about it.
  • Yep, I booked my hair and MUA without meeting her or doing a trial. Her reviews were amazing, and I'm planning from across the country, so I didn't have much choice. I'll do my trial this summer for my E-pics.

It depends on you. I'm pretty easy to please as far as makeup goes, and nothing I am asking for is particularly out there. I trust that she knows what she's doing. Besides, FI will think I'm beautiful if I show up wearing tube socks and a fuzzy sweater. However, if you are super particular and critical, then a trial would probably be best.
  • edited March 2012
    I booked mine last month for my wedding in October. My engagement photos are at the end of this month, so I will have my trial then, but I felt like she and her company were reputable enough that I could book my wedding without issue, and I didnt want to chance that things would book up on me. Mostly because I have been having nightmares about realizing on my wedding day I have to do my own hair and makeup (which for me is terrifying). 

If my trial is terrible, I know I have enough time to book somewhere else, but I think I will be fine and at least I have something finalized. Good luck!
  • No way! Sorry but im picky , ive seen artists with great pics that didnt know how to work with my face. I actually got myself a free trial based on what i read in AM's book budget consciouss nuptials.
  • I recomend doing a trial then booking them after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards