Not Engaged Yet

A DIY project I actually want to do.

I have fallen in love with having brownie/cake/cheesecake pops on the desert table with the cupcakes.

I really want to do them is because my wedding is during the state fair, and the big think with the fair is "on a stick." I hadn't thought of doing this until my cousin asked if I was going to have something on a stick since it was during the fair (and within a few miles of the fair at that.)

Here is how I would love to display them ( I just don't know if I would make them look like a 1st grader made them.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: A DIY project I actually want to do.

• loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So i'm sad the project pic didn't show up bigger. Pretty much it is supposed to look like a bouquet.
  • Soon2BJeterSoon2BJeter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Great idea!  A woman I work with just brought some of those into the office yesterday - they are so cool looking!  I'd say do a few practice tries until you get it just right - I'm sure they will turn out great!

• edited December 2011
    I have not done the cheescake or brownie pops from bakerella.  However, I have made cakepops and cakeballs.  Yummy!  And always a huge hit.  I made cakeballs for the shower last weekend and every single woman asked for the recipe.

Once you get your technique down, it will not be hard. 

The trickiest part is getting the candy coating the right texture.  I normally find it to be too thick to start with.  I add a little bit of shortening to thin it out.  Plus I only heat up a little bit at a time.  Also, get a big styrofoam block to put all of your pops in. 

Think I will be trying out cheesecake or brownie pops soon.  Now, what excuse do I have to do so?
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those are cute!!! I really like your idea of using them - do some yummy trial runs and go for it!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    Trial plans are definitely in the works! I am actually getting some brownie pops sent to me from Michigan.  My freind made some after I started talking about this and is mailing me her first run. Super excited!

My mom also bought stuff for the cheesecake pops, which I believe we will be attempting this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions mutley. I guess I better invest in some shortening.

There is a brownie pop mold which I think I will be investing in.
  • edited December 2011
    I have also done the cake ones. The hardest part for me was getting the cake mix to roll. It was too sticky. I ended up putting it in the freezer for an hour so it hardened up a bit. I don't know if that will be an issue with cheesecake or brownies but keep that in mind! Have fun, I loved making them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Loopy- Do you have to keep them cold? I guess that means that you could make them ahead of time.... Where is Kat? She needs to see this
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    You know Hetshup... I don't have the answer to that. The cheesecake yes. As far as the cake. I don't know. Mutley??

My mom wants to test out if we can freeze them and see how they are after they have been frozen.

I can safely say you don't want them getting too warm.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hah! Funny you should post this. In HS i worked at a gourmet dessert stand in a baseball stadium that sold.... CHEESECAKE ON A STICK*.

We also froze the cheesecake and dipped it (hence, thawing said cheesecake and hardening said chocolate).

I would think you could freeze brownies or cheesecake pops on wax paper and day of arrange in your bouquets and put them out for the reception.

I would also look up recipes for covering apples in chocolate (it's the same idea... right?) They also have coating candies at craft stores like Michael's.

I would post on the DIY board and see what responses you get. This sounds like fun!

*(Sidenote: they were so good I gained weight that summer. Haha! My favorite was keylime cheesecake dipped in the white chocolate with rainbow sprinkles)
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    Apples is along the same lines. I'm just not into those so much.

I have had cheesecake on a stick. I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it would work. I guess I have 6 months to experiment.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_diy-project-actually-want?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0a023d3-1f6c-4fe8-bdd5-93f43fc8766bPost:b43fc7ff-bd25-4bcd-aa1e-9763bd33a856">Re: A DIY project I actually want to do.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apples is along the same lines. I'm just not into those so much.
    Posted by loopy82[/QUOTE]

Yeah! I was actually just talking about the coating recipes. It might open up some more options and might harden properly!
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - my fault. Yeah that is a good plan. I have done chocolate covered strawberries and other items like that and the chocolate I used for that coated and dried well.

I have been planning on using Michael's coupons on the chocolate melts. I like that they have different flavors and colors. I just have to keep myself from going overboard.
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kat-- couldn't you do this to give FI cheesecake without actual cheesecake, and it would be in budget?

Loopy, they need sprinkles. Sprinkles make everyone happy and everything better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    The candy melts from Michael's work great. 

Both of these used it:

(Stupid camera setting - or rather, stupid user error)
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    Hetshup- They will definitely have sprinkles! I also like the idea of the little silver balls. Whatever they are called.

Mutley - Those look awesome. Were those trees hard? I did see a picture with drizzling and am also interested in doing that.

My friend called me and told me she made the cake balls. She said they were heavenly and like a cake truffle.
  • edited December 2011
    They are heavenly.  Seriously.  The moist cake and frosting is the perfect contrast with the crunchy candy coating.  Sigh.  I have been trying to space out the leftovers. 

The trees were beyond time consuming.  Shaping the cake mixture into tree shapes takes much longer than rolling them into balls.  Then, the dipping process is in-depth.  Finally, you have to add on all the ornaments and the stars.  However, I will be doing them for as many holidays as I can.  We took them to a Christmas party at my in-laws.  I was going to take the leftovers to some friends (another party) but FIL just looked at me when I took them into the kitchen.  He had already had 4. 

The drizzling gets easier once you figure out how to do it. I practiced on a couple of them and got much better by the end. 

I so want you to do this.  I would be very jazzed as a guest.  Yes, I said JAZZED.
  • babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mutley, you can make the cheescake one or anything you want whenever you want because you are pregnant. That is the only excuse you ever need for consuming large amounts of goodies.
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    I will be sure to post photos. Oh I am so set on making them! I hadn't heard about the cake balls until recently. I had seen the brownie pop mold at Michael's a few months ago, but never knew about the cake balls. I like that it will be something different I haven't seen at any weddings yet. I am bummed about my cupcake situation, so this will make me happy again! I don't have patience to do something like the christmas trees. I always have to be envious of people who take time to do this.
  • edited December 2011

Mutley, I've had a really lousy week and could sure use some cheesecake pops. Just blame your ambitions on me :)

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards