May 2013 Weddings
Options

Pomander

Why are they so expensive!?
I've been looking and looking for a DIY tutorial but I think I am overwhelmed with all the different ones. Have you ever made them? Which way did you like best?

May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Pomander

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I did fabric. I bought 3 inch styrofoam balls to make them and they ended up being about 8 inches around after the fabric was put on. This is the tutorial I followed except for when I first folded them in half I cut a small hole and put a toothpick in and used that to stick it in the ball. I found it held much nicer with no risk of falling out. 

The fabric was a little expensive so I am looking for coupons and also trying to find cheaper places. I was going to do 12 to go down the aisle but have changed my mind and am just doing 4 for the start of the aisle to hang on a taller hook that you would hang plants on.

ETA picture
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also did fabric pomander balls from the same blog as above look in my bio under DIY with instructions... The most expensive part of mine were the styrofoam balls. I got a great deal on fabric at hobby by using coupons.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:The Cake!!!
    cake4
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I felt the same way when I started to look into them!

I had no idea there were so many different kinds of pomanders! I think you first need to decide which kind you want to do and then narrow it down from there for instructions.

I'm going to do them with fake roses so I did a search on here and Pinterest for how to's and then compared/contrasted the instructions to get an idea (in my mind) what the best/easiest/most cost-effective way to do them would be.

Good Luck!!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     I did fabric ones using the same format the ladies above mentioned. I also used 3" styrofoam balls which were like $1 each at Joanns. I used coupons on all the fabric so it wasn't too bad- I made 24 total (12 each color grey and purple) for the aisles. They look awesome and I'm so glad I put in the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, go onto Pinterest and type in pomander and some links will come up for tissue paper, fabric, and fake flower pomanders!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've done a couple pomander tests (tissue, cupcake liner, petals), and my favorite look was actually using mini cupcake liners: http://www.thepartydress.net/2011/02/cupcake-liner-pomander-tutorial// (clicky).

Also, for the pomander centers, you can also look at the paper ornament forms, which work as well (as long as you just use hot glue). I picked up a lot of mine off eBay for a really good price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    December Signature: Holiday Favorites imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    thanks! I am allllll over pinterest and there are so many choices I don't know where to start. I really don't care which kind I just want them to look nice, so I will try the ones you suggested :)
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I made one using a 4in styrofaom ball and paper.  I used a flower hole punch and pins.

This is what it looked like before the puppy to got to it :/
    I am also making different ones using cupcake liners
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards