Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Unique Wedding Venues -- Your Help Wanted!

Hello Everyone!
I am recently engaged and have been exploring possible wedding venues in the Boston area (we're willing to go 30/45mins outside of city) but haven't found what I'm looking for.  I would love your help!  Here's a little information:

Budget: My budget for the entire wedding is $45K (including venue, food, band, photography, invitations, etc!).

Guest Count: 150 people

Wedding Date: Spring 2014 (May, flexible regarding to date -- but hoping for Sat evening wedding)

Personal Style:  We're looking for a venue with character -- no hotels or country clubs!  We're foodies so food is our number one priority for our wedding.  We're hoping to find a space that can accomodate both a ceremony and reception -- with nice indoor space for both!  We're looking at museums, restaurants and estates but are open to other options as well.  Vintage Chic would best describe what we are looking for!

Places we've looked into: 
1) The Beehive (great space, good food options -- out of our budget!)
2) Willowdale (beautiful estate but food is very expensive, you get very little for your money)
3) Upstairs on the Square (funky space but a little too small for our guest count)
4) Alden Castle (vintage look, great food options but ballroom seemed a little small for reception and a band)

Any recommendations on venues would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Unique Wedding Venues -- Your Help Wanted!

• Options
    I know the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem does weddings, they are actually featured in that movie Bride Wars, it's the friend's wedding that they go to in the beginning.
  • Options
    Cambridge Multicultural Center... you can choose from a number of caterers. It's a little DIY but you should be able to do something awesome with your budget and a wedding coordinator. It has the feel you are looking for.  I saw pictures--but I can't find them of somebody who hung those really pretty old fashioned bulb string lights in the courtyard.
  • Options
    I'm getting married at cmac. I like it but for 45k you can certainly do a lot better. Costs have really added up w all the rentals. If I knew when booking what I knew now I would have picked somewhere else where you get more for your money.
  • Options
    Also the venue doesn't hold 150 unless you break down tables for dancing. More like 120 comfortably... Found out the hard way after booking then having to trim my guest list.
  • Options
    Red Lion Inn in Cohasset!
  • Options
    marshallramarshallra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2012
    The M of science uses wolfgang puck for a caterer not vintage chic, but a museum, same with the Acquarium. The Wang center has some very awesome spaces, check out the lower lobby. With estates you are either going to have to use multiple rooms, or utilize a tent on the lawn. The commander's mansion in watertown has a dedicated tent, with a stone floor so it is more reasonable than renting your own. The mansion is gorgeous. Very funky and reasonable and vintage is the Charles River museum in Waltham. Old mill building with a dedicated party room on the second floor. You can have your own caterer with all but the first two- and your own drinks as well which signifigantly cuts down on cost. Trust me 45k is reasonable - but it can go awfully fast.
  • Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for all of the advice/recommendations!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_unique-wedding-venues-your-help-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:7dddafe6-bca8-4010-8248-84403451013cPost:6afdce4f-8f84-4122-8741-9c64f2cd63b3">Re: Unique Wedding Venues -- Your Help Wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem does weddings, they are actually featured in that movie Bride Wars, it's the friend's wedding that they go to in the beginning.
    Posted by jessss21[/QUOTE]

You should be aware that the Peabody Essex Museum is going under construction starting Fall 2013. Not sure if this will be completed by the Spring 2014. My Mom went in yesterday to ask about our wedding there next Fall. The main atrium will be available for functions but all the other rooms will be severly under construction. They are giving a discount for weddings---again only in the atrium though.
  • Options
    lagk14lagk14 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    That's helpful to know -- thanks for the information Elyssa!  Do you know off hand what their discounted site fees are for the atrium?  It looks like it's listed at $7.5K for the weekend right now.  What caterer did you decide to go with?

Thanks again!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_unique-wedding-venues-your-help-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:7dddafe6-bca8-4010-8248-84403451013cPost:3d24c7f2-45ae-4c5a-bd07-4b7c09612ef1">Re: Unique Wedding Venues -- Your Help Wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unique Wedding Venues -- Your Help Wanted! : You should be aware that the Peabody Essex Museum is going under construction starting Fall 2013. Not sure if this will be completed by the Spring 2014. My Mom went in yesterday to ask about our wedding there next Fall. The main atrium will be available for functions but all the other rooms will be severly under construction. They are giving a discount for weddings---again only in the atrium though.
    Posted by ElyssaK25[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Too bad The Beehive is out of your budget, that was the first place I thought of!! 

What about the ICA (Boston) or the DeCordova (Lincoln, MA)? 

We got married in Boston at Lindsey Chapel on Newbury St (justice of the peace ceremony) and rented out Tapeo for our reception (guests are still raving about the food, 2 years later).  We saved a fortune because we made a deal with the restaurant to rent out the venue for an all-inclusive flat fee (which included open bar all night).  I think the total cost of our reception was under $15,000.

We invited 150 guests, and got married on a Saturday night in early June.  Due to the high number of out of town/out of state/out of country guests, and conflicts with other weddings and graduations we only had about 85 guests attend.  Just something to think about if you have a lot of OOT guests.  Oh, and they (the OOT guests) appreciated staying in the city and not having to try to rent a car/drive to a venue outside of Boston; to help the guests who live in the Boston area, but not in the city we made arrangements to have a shuttle bus before the wedding/after the reception so they wouldn't have to pay for expensive Back Bay parking.  Just some other things to think about.

Tapeo is definitely too small for 150 guests, but their sister restaurant, Solea, in Waltham (Moody St), was expanded a couple years ago and might be big enough.

Oh, and I know you said no hotels, but I've heard that the Liberty Hotel (a former prison) is really cool for weddings. :)

Good luck!!
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    You may want to look at the Exchange Hall in Acton.  You would have to cater it, but it has a unique feel.  http://exchangehall.com
  • Options
    <div>Thanks so much for the recommendations and advice!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_unique-wedding-venues-your-help-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:7dddafe6-bca8-4010-8248-84403451013cPost:a227fe5e-22ff-416a-993f-07b3b62e2359">Re: Unique Wedding Venues -- Your Help Wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Too bad The Beehive is out of your budget, that was the first place I thought of!!  What about the ICA (Boston) or the DeCordova (Lincoln, MA)?  We got married in Boston at Lindsey Chapel on Newbury St (justice of the peace ceremony) and rented out Tapeo for our reception (guests are still raving about the food, 2 years later).  We saved a fortune because we made a deal with the restaurant to rent out the venue for an all-inclusive flat fee (which included open bar all night).  I think the total cost of our reception was under $15,000. We invited 150 guests, and got married on a Saturday night in early June.  Due to the high number of out of town/out of state/out of country guests, and conflicts with other weddings and graduations we only had about 85 guests attend.  Just something to think about if you have a lot of OOT guests.  Oh, and they (the OOT guests) appreciated staying in the city and not having to try to rent a car/drive to a venue outside of Boston; to help the guests who live in the Boston area, but not in the city we made arrangements to have a shuttle bus before the wedding/after the reception so they wouldn't have to pay for expensive Back Bay parking.  Just some other things to think about. Tapeo is definitely too small for 150 guests, but their sister restaurant, Solea, in Waltham (Moody St), was expanded a couple years ago and might be big enough. Oh, and I know you said no hotels, but I've heard that the Liberty Hotel (a former prison) is really cool for weddings. :) Good luck!!
    Posted by jkepros[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Glen Magna Farms in Danvers.  It's a gorgeous historical mansion with beautiful grounds and gardens.  We had our reception there in June and it was amazing!
  • Options
    The Barn at Gibbet Hill in Groton is GORGEOUS and the food is amazing.  Definitely take a look :)  My fiance and I are getting married there next September.
  • Options
    I got married at Cafe Escadrille.  The food is awesome.  The decor in the ballroom isn't really vintage chic just a nice ballroom that can be decorated anyway you like but I think wehre they do the cocktail hour and where the bar is really cool.  There is a bunch of couches, a fireplace, etc.  A lot of my guests took advantage of it during the wedding.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Harrington Farm in Princeton is Beautiful... The food is absolutely amazing...
  • Options
    I'm getting married at the Red Lion Inn in Cohasset Feb 2013....I'm a foodie myself and its AMAZING...and the style you are looking for sounds like that venue to a T!!! Call and get a tour..ask for Helena, and be sure to say Danielle & Michael said to call, she'll always treat you great but she loves my fiance so it will def help..haha.

good luck!
    Dani
  • Options
    Check out the Lannan Club in Andover. They are definitely way below your budget. They actually our a members only dinner club so the food I would imagine would be very good, though I've never tried it. They aren't a wedding factory so they actually can give you a really good deal. The inside is amazing! It reminds me of Gatsby style!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards