Jewish Weddings

Wedding Bands

What kind of wedding band are you getting?  Are you going with the traditional plain band?  Are you throwing tradition out the window (if your Rabbi allows it) and getting something with stones?  Possibly using a plain band for the ceremony but getting something with stones to wear afterwards?

I'm a little torn.  I need a plain band for the ceremony, but I can't decide if I want to get something with stones that matches my e-ring to wear afterwards (which my Rabbi suggested before I even asked if it was ok).
Anniversary

Re: Wedding Bands

• LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I have matching plain bands.  Someday I may get an eternity ring, but, I will still wear this one.  I know many do it, but, I couldn't imagine not wearing the ring that my husband put on my finger on our actual wedding day.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Like LBRM, my husband and I have matching plain white gold bands.  My white gold band goes very well with my e-ring, and I wear both together all the time.
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the girls in my family wore my grandmother's plain band for the ceremony and then sold it to the next bride in line. We hope to do that for the next generation. It has a lot of meaning to all of us.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The plain gold band NotFroofy gave me was inherited from her grandmother back in Wales.  NotFroofy wanted a matching band, but this was difficult to find in this country, because her grandmother's was 22 karat gold.  However, I managed to find a very similar ring--of a similar vintage--on eBay UK.

Neither of us wanted an engagement ring, or a wedding ring with stones in it.

• edited December 2011
    We went with both.

We bought a diamond band that is similar to my e-ring band (pave, 1/2 carat, miligrain) and we bought a simple 2mm white gold band. The white gold band was something like $75 so no dent in our budget at all.

For the ceremony we used the simple white gold band and then during the yichud we moved that to my left ring finger and then put the diamond band on my right ring finger.

So now I wear both... and I love it.
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_wedding-bands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:d804adc8-adfc-4af2-b683-b224c011944aPost:b699546b-03d9-442b-9ea3-34db3f4d56df">Re: Wedding Bands</a>:
    [QUOTE]All the girls in my family wore my grandmother's plain band for the ceremony and then sold it to the next bride in line. We hope to do that for the next generation. It has a lot of meaning to all of us.
    Posted by colourz[/QUOTE]

This is a beautiful family tradition!
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't get married by a rabbi and have a diamond wedding band. My sister DID get married by a rabbi and wore a diamond wedding band before her divorce, but used my mom's plain gold band during the ceremony (mom has 3 rings she considers a wedding band -- the one she originally got married with, a later one that's all opals, and an even later one that's all diamonds).
  • edited December 2011
    My FMIL has a plain yellow gold wedding band that both her and her sister wore during their weddings. I would like a plain white gold band and to be married with the ring I would wear all the time but I don't know if it will look right with my ering. If a plain white gold wedding band looks good with my ering, I will probably have FI put both on during the ceremony.

FI plans to ask his Baubie for his Zeydes wedding band. My ering is made of stones from my grandmother and great grandmother and we thought it would be nice to both have rings from our grandparents (its also green and economical).
    Anniversary image
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i got a plain band.  sure i love the eternity band but it was just too much $ for us, my husband thought it was kind of ridiculous  (doh).

but luckily i think it will be a great anniversary present in the future :D
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_wedding-bands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:d804adc8-adfc-4af2-b683-b224c011944aPost:d98776be-e893-4017-8a11-2e81576185b1">Re: Wedding Bands</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I have matching plain bands.  Someday I may get an eternity ring, but, I will still wear this one.  I know many do it, but, I couldn't imagine not wearing the ring that my husband put on my finger on our actual wedding day.
    Posted by LBRM_NJ[/QUOTE]

I'm doing the same, and feel the same way... I want to wear the ceremony band as my ring.  What I do see some girls do, especially in the religious community, is they wear their plain band on their right hand, and get a fancy one to wear on their left hand with their engagement ring... maybe as an anniversary gift, someday :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the insight!  I will go to the jeweler and see what looks best with my e-ring.  I am leaning toward a plain band, though.  I like the tradition/meaning behind it.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not doing the traditional gold band. My FI bought the band when he bought my engagement ring. It has stones on it, so I'm going to go ahead and stick with that
    ;) Our Rabbi is ok with it!
  • Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we decided to get plain bands and have them engraved in hebrew. they say "this is my beloved this is my friend" in hebrew. we were expecting that the only place in the entire state to engrave in hebrew would charge an arm and a leg so we decided to get less expensive bands. had we realised it would only be $6 per ring we may have gotten more elaborate bands, but we are both happy with what we chose anyway :)
    Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards