July 2012 Weddings

What's the dumbest thing . . .

that you spent money on for the wedding that you wish you hadn't?

Mine would be my veil. Now that I've seen other posts about veils and how much they cost and the quality you can get online and/or on etsy, I'm pretty furious about what I spent on mine.

Now you go.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What's the dumbest thing . . .

• Our save the dates.  They were about $250 bucks and if we didn't send them out our guest list could have been a lot shorter for the wedding.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_whats-the-dumbest-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:7e7b4834-36db-4ecc-831c-fff315cce0e1Post:0361aa32-c135-4734-9055-2f89e0d8d8b4">Re: What's the dumbest thing . . .</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our save the dates.  They were about $250 bucks and if we didn't send them out our guest list could have been a lot shorter for the wedding.
    Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

This. Plus we could of saved a lot on our invitations since we ordered extra just in case.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_whats-the-dumbest-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:7e7b4834-36db-4ecc-831c-fff315cce0e1Post:0361aa32-c135-4734-9055-2f89e0d8d8b4">Re: What's the dumbest thing . . .</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our save the dates.  They were about $250 bucks and if we didn't send them out our guest list could have been a lot shorter for the wedding.
    Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

Oooooh good call. I change my answer to STDs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The supplies for my petal aisle runner.  I may start crying again just thinking about it.  I had finally hunkered down and was making real progress and then I also started working more with my flowers for the napkin rings and the pomanders and realized that the "turquoise" petals I was using for the aisle runner aren't really turquoise at all.  I've since given up on the whole flipping thing.  I didn't spend a ton of money on the supplies, but I have about 40 hours I've put into it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Maybe it's not the dumbest but if I could start over again, I would just to a small restaurant reception instead of our big venue. We could have saved so much.

I also bought some decor items like a room divider that I was going to use as a ceremony backdrop, trellises and Christmas lights that I changed my mind about.  Ugh. 
  • Our save the dates too! I got them from Etsy and they were more expensive than using magnetstreet or vistaprint. They were cute, but they didn't look any fancier and weren't higher quality.

My guestbook puzzle cost around $300 before shipping because it's hand carved. One day after I received it, my dog ate a piece when I wasn't looking and it couldn't be replaced. I sucked it up and paid for another puzzle (at a discount of $200). So the puzzle ended up costing $500. All I have to say is we better put that puzzle together every year on our anniversary for a long time! Otherwise I might cry looking back at how much money I wasted.
  • Mines not a complete dumb thing. 
    I just wish I had done more research on wedding photographers, and negotiated with her more, I think I could have gotten more hours and such for a better deal. 
    I wish that for all my vendors actually. Just really gotten all that I wanted for what i am paying these people. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • $300 on brooches for my brooch bouquet failure.  UGH.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • hhhmmmmmmmm. Honestly, we have done a really good job of only spending what we have budgeted for in different parts of the wedding. I really can't think of anything in particular that I now hate and am not planning to use. 

I do wonder whether I needed to have the 260 person fancy ballroom reception with the gourmet meal and open bar and whether we could have stuck with something smaller and less BIG.....but other than that, I have saved $$ where we wanted to save money (like my $18 veil - sorry bridetobe!) and our budget florist, and spent more money on the stuff that really matters to us (photography).

Actually, I do have something really dumb!!!! now that I am thinking about it, I am PISSED OFF about how much we spent on invitations, only to have our stupid designer spend 4 months working on them and we STILL do not have them. That was dumb. We could ordered generic ones off of weddingpaperdivas for cheaper and had them within a few weeks instead of waiting freaking FOUR MONTHS to get them back.
  • I just didn't realize I could negotiate with vendors until it suddenly dawned on me about a week ago. Now I feel so dumb and like we could have gotten more for our money, especially with out caterer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think I would consider anything I've spent money on dumb or regret it but I'm also questioning whether I should have really had such an elaborate and expensive wedding. I really hate being the center of attention and I probably would have loved to have a destination wedding with just immediate family and close friends. My parents are paying for my wedding and my mother really insisted that everyone (even people I don't know) be invited. I probably should have just say thanks, but no thanks--we're going to have a destination wedding.

I'm extremely thankful and happy for the wedding we are having, but all the expensives really weren't necessary when it comes down to it. When I hear about what other people spent on veils, photography, florists, etc., and I'm more than double those costs? It just seems excessive.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • I wish I would have been more open to not having such an expensive wedding at an expensive venue.  Also wish I didn't spend money on bubbles, sparklers, glow necklaces and a BUNCH of "stuff" from etsy. I'm definitely having wedding remorse. I wish I didn't plan for a year out, wish it was like 6-8 months so i didn't get bored and buy all the "stuff".  I just hope it turns out perfect and my guests really enjoy themselves. I can't wait for the honeymoon to be here already!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_whats-the-dumbest-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:7e7b4834-36db-4ecc-831c-fff315cce0e1Post:c6be1112-bbe0-45e5-8694-b309c6a52e6d">Re: What's the dumbest thing . . .</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just didn't realize I could negotiate with vendors until it suddenly dawned on me about a week ago. Now I feel so dumb and like we could have gotten more for our money, especially with out caterer.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

Same boat. It wasn't until we started looking at wedding rings and the jeweler was starting to negotiate with us that I realized we could have been doing that all along. I feel as though we've done a really good job so far though.
  • I wish we were able to negotiate with our vendors. Didn't even think of that.

I also wish we finalized our guest list BEFORE picking out a venue. We picked one that had a 220 person limit and then we came up with our guest list. We were way over 350 people and we weren't done. We had to cut out a lot of people. I wish we picked a bigger venue.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not a major regret, but I'm disappointed that I ordered a wedding robe from a vendor on Etsy that ended up closing her shop. Several brides opened up complaints and I think the vendor excepted more orders than she could handle. I put in a claim, but I'm not holding my breath to get my money back.

Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Honestly, so far nothing.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • TChiumiTChiumi member
    First Comment
    I feel like FI and I have done really well with staying within our budget.  I initially wanted a destination wedding but FI has a large family and his parents would have been really disappointed if we had gone that route.  The compromise was we would have a big wedding and get married here but not in a church.  

FI and I prioritized what was the most important to us and that is how we allocated funds. Photography and our venue were the most important and flowers were probably the least important.  I have done tons of research on everything I have purchased for the wedding and used as many coupons for my DIY projects as I could. 

I think the thing I regret spending the most on is my veil I got a discount because I purchased it when I bought my dress but I was STILL expensive and I only plan on wearing it during the ceremony and some pictures.  If I had it to do over again I would go with my initial thought and have no veil.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wasted 150.00 on a reception dress. It looked cute in the picture but it was hideous when I tried it on. I can't return it. :(
  • We have ALOT of things that still havent been purchased yet. But so far the prices for most things are looking pretty good. I would have to say I wish I spent more time looking around and thinking about invitations. I think we spent about $200 more than we should have, but I was so stressed about getting them ordered in time I just wanted to be done with it. Same with my dress. With alterations, its getting pretty expensive. I wish I would have had more time to shop around. Oh well, thats all water under the bridge now. I just can't wait to just get to the honeymoon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would have gotten a cheaper dress, with a different cheaper veil, not gotten linens, and I would have gotten a cheaper DJ or paid attention to my budget and contract and cancelled in time to get a refund on my deposit and gotten a cheaper DJ. All so I could have gotten flowers where right now I don't think I'll be able too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_whats-the-dumbest-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:7e7b4834-36db-4ecc-831c-fff315cce0e1Post:2a362017-6a39-4541-bce6-885233740b53">Re: What's the dumbest thing . . .</a>:
    [QUOTE]$300 on brooches for my brooch bouquet failure.  UGH.
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>OT, but are you wanting to part with the brooches?  I'm still needing a few for my bouquet...</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • I wish we negotiated with our vendors a bit more, but we did pretty good for the prices that we got.  I think the only one would have been the caterer, but he was fair and it didn't sound like he negotiated much for his services.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards