New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Brotherhood, Benmarl, or Bear Mountain??? Need advice...

Hi ladies,

Just planning and I think I decided on sites.  I am all about people's feedback and/or experience with places.  Has anyone had their wedding at one of these locations, or been a guest at one??  Price wise they are similar, and different in their own way.  Although, Bear Mountain has the best package deal.  Just curious if anyone has personal experiences with any of these locations.  Thanks in advance!   

Re: Brotherhood, Benmarl, or Bear Mountain??? Need advice...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Bear Mountain Inn
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding in bear mountain inn this summer 2009. Cocktail hour was in the hallway with no room, we ran out of forks, and no one would give us any so we were all standing with our food and no way to eat it. Also the hotel had no hot water in any of the guest rooms and didnt tell the bride until right before the wedding. They booked a specific hall at Bear Mountain and they gutted it over the summer to renovate, and never told the bride.

These events might help you decide...
    Good Luck Planning!
  • Options
    mrsomar2bmrsomar2b member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were married at the Overlook Lodge at Bear Mtn 4 yrs ago, the inn had been closed a yr at that point for a complete overhaul. They have since changed caterers, but we go back every yr for brunch on the Sunday closest to our anniversary. This past Dec was the first yr w/the new caterer and I have to say I didn't notice any difference w/the food - it was great! We were also very surprised to see the renovations to the lodge, it looks wonderful. We thought it was nice before, but the updates really make a big difference. 
    The pp mentions being at a cocktail hr in a hallway, that would be at the lodge, not the inn. Ours was like that too and it wasn't an issue to us, but it might not be someone else's vision. Fortunately, service was top notch so we had no issues w/utensils or the servers!
    You did say you are looking at the inn though, have they committed to a date when they will be open? It seems like they just keep pushing the date back for reopening, which I've always assumed was the fault of the state. That would be my only concern w/the inn....will they really be open. The setting and food are fabulous in my opinion so although I'm biased - I'd vote for Bear Mtn.
    Sorry so long - hope it helps.
    Good luck with your decision and the rest of your planning! 
  • Options
    Meliss5178Meliss5178 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We visited Benmarl WInery while a wedding was taking place. It is gorgeous there, but the reception was tented, which you would have to take into consideration.  Plus there were viistors going in and out of the winery while the ceremony and reception was taking place which you should also take into consideration. The spot they set up the reception is RIGHT next to the tasting entrance.

Bear Mountain Inn has been going through renovations for years. I would be worried that they would actually open it back up in time. We looked at the Overlook Lodge (The venue currently open at Bear Mtn) because my aunt had her wedding there, but it looked like it hadn't been updated since.

As for Brotherhood, they are still working on their restaurant there which I am assuming that is where they would hold a wedding. The wine is amazing and the staff there is great. Never been to an event there though.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Great, thanks for all feedback!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards